New stuff...

Okay I'm allowed to post on here now, my D300s and a few lenses have arrived!
Damn it's heavy and big compared to my Pentax K-7!:Unsure: I know some like them that way, but not me. A different way of structuring the menus, and the memory banks are rather confusing. I can't even study it tonight as it's tennis night :frown:

My brother has a Nikon D50, so now I'll just have the problem of keeping my lenses from him.

Still selling my old stuff, what a drag that is! Hope I've made the right decision :confused: :m68:

Well as I was selling stuff I could splash out a bit more than normal, so 16-85, 70-300 VR, 35/1.8, 70-200 VRII and an SB900. I haven't been able to afford to replace everything I had for the K-7, but not far off. I actually have a small second job that I use for buying toys too, so that helps.

I can understand getting both Garret. I have the 70-300 VR and love the size, weight and longer range, but I'm also considering the 70-200 VRII for, shallow DOF, low light and ability to take tc's. If Nikon has a rebate program when the D400 comes out I'll probably add the 70-200 ($400 is a big discount).

Congratulations Russ, terrific kit. If the D300s feels too heavy, look at a D90 - same sensor. I don't plan on selling my D90 when I get a new body, I like it's smaller size and lower weight.

What he said. The 70-300 is the holiday zoom with the family. The 70-200 ( and I did get the 1.4x) is my sporting zoom. I've ended up doing a lot of sport, hence my switch to Nikon. Other than the sport the K-7 satisfied me and more, just Nikon's superior tracking focus that lured me over.

Looking at the menus and trying to set up appropriate banks now - dang! I will have questions later - but now it's tennis time!

Russ, nice setup. If you do find the 300S to be too big and heavy (as I did) I would suggest you consider the D7000. You might check out the plethora of threads dedicated to this body on the site. Happy shooting!!

Congrats on a nice kit. The size difference is a little difficult to adjust to.

Beware, one thing that screwed me up is the EV scale. Nikon puts the + to the left and - to the right, just the opposite of Pentax.

Russ, nice setup. If you do find the 300S to be too big and heavy (as I did) I would suggest you consider the D7000. You might check out the plethora of threads dedicated to this body on the site. Happy shooting!!
I read the D7000 v D300s threads on here, and the consensus seemed to be that the D300s was the one to get for shooting sport due to superior focussing ability. So I did. I know the D7000 sensor is awesome, and have many photos from it and the Pentax K-5.

Congrats on a nice kit. The size difference is a little difficult to adjust to.

Beware, one thing that screwed me up is the EV scale. Nikon puts the + to the left and - to the right, just the opposite of Pentax.
I've already changed it back to the proper way, the way I've been taught about -ve and +ve numbers since primary school! Unbelievable that the default way is reversed from that.

Well as I was selling stuff I could splash out a bit more than normal, so 16-85, 70-300 VR, 35/1.8, 70-200 VRII and an SB900. I haven't been able to afford to replace everything I had for the K-7, but not far off. I actually have a small second job that I use for buying toys too, so that helps.

Wow, that is quite the setup to enter the Nikon world with!

Wow, that is quite the setup to enter the Nikon world with!

I know, and I'm a bit embarrassed by it too :redface:, but the fact that I have built up a decent Pentax kit which I am selling, plus my extra job money that I'm allowed to spend on toys means it's possible. I'm still a couple of primes short of equalling my Pentax kit, but I can wait for those.

It's sure heavy with the 70-200 plus TC compared to my K-7 with the Sigma 70-200 and TC though! I may have to use my monopod a bit more this year!

Nice set up - i have one similar. - It took me about 1/5 yrs to build up as needed SHMBO OK

I don't find it that heavy - and i have the extra battery grip on board.

I decided to test teh weight and teh D300/MB-10 + 16-85mm was only just heavier (and i'm talking 10-20gm) more than my Fe2/MD12 with a tokina 28-105 (62mm) which was my walk around fiilm set up.

But when you hold up the 70/200 for a while - i found i felt in teh next day in teh muscles. ( i was shooting a mate on a windsurfer)

dave

The 300+70-200 is certainly heavier than the K-7+ Sigma 70-200. I would carry the latter just hand-held around the sideline for the length of a rugby game, but I'm not so sure about this setup. I do have a monopod though so i'll just take that and see how I go without it first. Yeah the next day is the real telling point!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom