New Tamron 35-150mm

I noticed it uses the OSD motor vs the silent/faster USD motor found on higher end Tamron lenses. Though I can see this being a nice budget/compact pairing with the 17-35mm OSD lens.

Real Name
Ian
Yeah, the focus motor is a bit cheap. I have the 17-35, and it's a fantastic lens. The fact that the focus ring turns during AF is a bit odd, but given the price point and performance, it's something I can easily overlook.

Real Name
David
I noticed it uses the OSD motor vs the silent/faster USD motor found on higher end Tamron lenses. Though I can see this being a nice budget/compact pairing with the 17-35mm OSD lens.
Yeah, the focus motor is a bit cheap. I have the 17-35, and it's a fantastic lens. The fact that the focus ring turns during AF is a bit odd, but given the price point and performance, it's something I can easily overlook.
Interesting since they named it "Optimized Silent Drive" making you thing it would be quieter. And the price is the same as the 70-210 f/4 with the USD motor.

But it is an interesting range in a smaller and slightly lighter package than the 70-210 f/4. I can see it as a nice option for events, I often carried two bodies just for this range especially during the cocktail hour.

Interesting since they named it "Optimized Silent Drive" making you thing it would be quieter. And the price is the same as the 70-210 f/4 with the USD motor.
Tokina calls their focus motor 'Silent Drive' but it's still the old school whirling focus drive. The only f-mount lenses that are completely silent and fast are the AF-P lenses. Not sure why third party manufacturers aren't using the new style motors, especially since Sigma/Tamron are ditching the aperture lever.

Depending on optical quality, I'd rather have the Nikon 24-120, better size, weight and (for me) zoom range. The faster aperture is at the widest focal length, when I want it least (as is typical with these zooms). I'll stay with my cheap 24-85VR - half the size and weight.

This could be a nice everyday, walk-around lens. Looking forward to seeing reviews of this lens as the range seems very usable, relatively fast aperture and image stabilization.

Does anyone know the suggested price?
Edit: Nevermind, just saw BH Photo has it listed for $799 USD.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
please let us know what you think of it, a crop factor 52.5-225mm lens at F2.8 sounds good to me

This lens do look really intresting. For me the fl is a perfect walk around/travel lens (i have a crop nikon) and I also have the small Ricoh gr for a bit wider shots.
I have it on preorder and really hopes its good optically.

Real Name
David
This lens do look really intresting. For me the fl is a perfect walk around/travel lens (i have a crop nikon) and I also have the small Ricoh gr for a bit wider shots.
I have it on preorder and really hopes its good optically.
please let us know what you think of it, a crop factor 52.5-225mm lens at F2.8 sounds good to me
While I would have liked this for events, I can definitely see this with the 10-24 DX or 17-35 FX on the wide end and the 100-400 or 150-600 on the long end. Would make a nice kit.

Yes usual starting point is 24. I do like the 28mm look and cover that with the excellent Ricoh gr.
No lens do all of course but for me the range suits better but do understand that most people prefer a classic standard zoom.

Real Name
Ian
People, this lens is not meant to replace a 24-120. It's meant to be the normal/telephoto pairing to Tamron's recently released 17-35 f/2.8-4.

Tamron built these lenses with the expectation that you will get the 17-35, and 35-150 to provide a two-lens walk around kit with reasonably fast apertures.

Real Name
Randy
Yes usual starting point is 24. I do like the 28mm look and cover that with the excellent Ricoh gr.
No lens do all of course but for me the range suits better but do understand that most people prefer a classic standard zoom.
I don't agree that most people want a zoom that opens at 35mm (if that's what classic means)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom