NEW to all of this... Menu Banks, thanks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gaperklake, Mar 28, 2007.

1. gaperklake

gaperklake

Mar 27, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Hello,

My name is Guy Perkins and I live in Reno, NV… and I am new to Nikon Café, the D 200 and very new to digital photography in general. Besides the D 200, I have a Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5~5.6 IF-ED, Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2-8 VR and a SB-800.

I’m writing and introducing myself to ask for help and direction on setting up preferences in the four Shooting Menu Banks and Custom Menu Banks. Right now I’m calling the Shooting Menu Banks: A = general; B = portrait; C = landscape; D = macro. I realize these settings reflect personal preferences, but – at this point – I don’t know enough to have many of those. I am taking photos and I have read the user manuals completely — and return to them often.

Thank you so much,

GuyPerkins

2. Hi Guy and welcome. I would reccomend that as you learn the new camera it would pay off better not to set up banks. You will have to make concious decisions for all of your custom settings each time you do a shoot and in so doing will then learn whether banks would have been helpful. At the point of that discovery you will then know the answers to this question you pose, as they relate to your shooting style and preferences.
    Look forward to seeing some of your work.
    Dave

3. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. gaperklake

gaperklake

Mar 27, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Hello Dave and Raul,

Thank you, thank you guys for your responses, very helpful advice and welcome! (I am not only new to digital photography, but to message forums as well.)

I followed the link and found it good and reassuring reading. That your your suggestions have helped greatly.

My best,

Guy Perkins

5. Excellent advice here...I actually have my banks set to easily change the 4-5 settings that I always change...not the traditional banks that you might think of...it is really dependent on how you shoot.

6. dagored

dagored

May 4, 2005
    Ohio
    Try these:
    D200 bank settings

7. gaperklake

gaperklake

Mar 27, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Dear Carman and John,

Thank you for your responses, advice and the link. They mean a great deal and are very, very helpful.

The link to the Excel document was excellent! What a lot of work those guys did...

Thanks so much again,

Guy

8. MarkR

MarkR

Jun 28, 2006
    Brighton,MI
    I used that Excel Spreadsheet and customized a few items for my usage. I really appreciate the work the authors did because it saved me a lot of time.

Funny this came up, because I just found my hard copy of that spreadsheet 2 days ago in a pile on my desk. :biggrin: