New to D3 and two questions

Hi, I just bought a brand new D3 (finally :biggrin:) and I have two questions for the people that use it for some time now.

- What Picture Control do you prefer for caucasian skin tones ? I found the standard PC too saturated for skins (?) I can use RAW but sometimes RAW it´s not an option if you have to deliver the pictures right away. Also it´s just me or the D300s delivers more accurate Auto White Balance ?

- Do you have problems using direct flash on the D3 ? I´m used to D300 and D300s and I have zero problems with direct flash using BL, on the D3 it overexpose the subjects and I have to dial -0.7 on the flash, thats with a SB800... I have a friend with the same problem in his D3s with a SB900 but not with a SB800 (?), do you experience this ?, so far it reminds me to my old D100 that I have to dial -1 in the flash for correct exposures.

So far love the camera, very fast AF with the 300 2.8, and love the DOF & bokeh using the 105 VR.

Sorry for my english and thanks in advance for your help.
Best Regards
Charly

Thanks for your message Nik, I never used D2XMODE1 in the D300s, I found the standard parameter more saturated on the D3 than D300s.

I do tested the D2XMODE1 PC today on the D3 and seems to be a better option, thank you.

The direct flash problem still exist, IMO D200 and D300s handles TTL way better, I´m talking about direct flash at night in the street paparazzi style, on the D3 I get overexposure on the subject even using a classical setup like 1/60 f/5.6 ISO 400 setting .. on bounce flash it works better, direct flash I have to minus compensate, D300s way better on this regard.
Also today a found another user with the same problem but using a D700 and SB900 combo ... direct flash TTL with zero compensation it´s just not relialable like it is with a D200 or a D300s, strange I didn´t read anything about this but then find people in the street having the same problem using D700 or D3 :confused:

Thanks again.
Best Regards

Hi,

for neutral skin tones I usually choose "standard" with reduced saturation or "neutral" with a slightly increased saturation. The D2x-"Portrait" setting is a bit too red-ish for my liking.

That said, I always shoot raw and I am very specific using the correct white balance.

I don't use direct flash, so I can't deliver any experience on that one.

Best regards

Mattes

+1 on the D2X mode I.
Although i shoot RAW,i like to have some consistency in what i see on the lcd and on the pc screen(on LR3 i use the same profile as default).

Brand new D3 ?!!
Or did you mean D3s?

Enjoy it.

PS:I was there in Buenos Aires last December.
Great city,great people and of course great food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg, Mattes, Francisco, thanks for your messages.

Will try the standard PC with -1 saturation.

It´s a D3 Francisco, it only had 120 shutter actuations :Shocked: , ofcourse I pay way less than a D3s, I would love to have the D3s but for now I´m pretty happy with the D3 ISO3200 performance, I don´t need more than ISO3200 in 99% of my shooting.
Good to hear you had a great time here at Argentina :smile:

Regards !

I know people say Nikon has a great flash system but I often find it tough to work with on FF bodies. No clue why really....

I am glad to see I am not the only one having problems with on camera flash and the D3. I was doing a shoot of a baby dedication and was using TTL-BL and the shots were way too hot. I just cranked up the ISO and shot with available light. I would like to know what I am doing wrong as well.

TTL BL is for balancing flash and ambient outdoors

If you shoot outdoors at night your ambient is going to be very low (dark) and the TTL metering will dry to give you mid-grey which will result in over-exposure on your subject, FEC is the answer for TTL

Sadly it doesn´t matter if I´m using BL or not, it overexpose if I use TTL with zero compensation, I just dial -0.7 in the flash and I get correct exposures (using BL or not) and after talking with several FX users and some responses here I see I´m not alone, D200 & D300 have zero isuues with direct TTL.
Taking the flash issue apart I´m extremely happy with the D3.
Thanks !

Best Regards

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom