1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New to flowers & macro

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Butlerkid, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    This is the first year I've tried photographing flowers. Please provide suggestions on how I can improve my compositions and techniques.

Rose 1/320 @ f6.7 - handheld 70-300 VR lens
    [​IMG]

1/100 @ 6.7 - tripod
    [​IMG]

Trillium 1/15 @f11 tripod
    [​IMG]

1/100 @ 6.7 hand held with 70-300 VR lens
    [​IMG]

2. I think there is little to improve. A couple of minor points are the green leaf on the bottom of the first picture and the grass obstructing the butterfly in the last one but I would be very happy if my first attempts had been this good.

3. You're kidding, right? The only thing wrong with the flower shots IMO is they are yours, and not mine:biggrin:. I would be happy with them. The shot of the butterfly is not quite so good because of the out of focus stem between the camera and the subject. Just my opinion, which isn't worth much. I think overall, you did an excellent job.

4. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Oh, bless you for taking the time to comment!

I'm struggling the my new lens, the 70-300 VR. And my "old eyes" mean that I rely heavily on autofocusing.

For the butterfly shot I was sitting in a heavily weeded meadow trying to get shots of wild turkeys. The butterfly was fairly close so I got him too. Wish that blade of grass hadn't been between the camera and the butterfly.

Thanks again!

5. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Yeah

Karen..

They are very, very nice.
    (I was going to mess with you and tell you they really sucked)

Haha
    :smile:

.. but not much to improve on these.

7. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA
    Relatively, I liked the third shot.

On the first shot, bud on left and leaves distract the attention to beautiful subject. May be this is lens limitation on bokeh I don't know...

2nd same buds distracts from the beauty

8. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thank you for commenting! I know I have a lot to learn. Just looking at my bad ones taught me a lot! :smile:

Your right about the distracting elements in the rose shot. I even made it worse by not masking the USM!

The 2nd shot is actually my favorite. I like the swirled buds framing the open flowers. Do you think there is a way to keep the closed buds and still get an acceptable composition?

Thanks so much for the comments!

9. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Anyone have any suggestions regarding the 3rd shot, Trillium? How do I improve next time? Focus point, composition or ????

10. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA
    2nd shot is my favorite too. I love the composition, color nad sharpness of the flowers. And I realized the bud effect after you mentioned it :)  I think only left bottom bud is the problem, which is little more prominent thatn other buds.

11. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks for commenting. My husband is amazed at how long I can stay in one area taking a photo of one thing! It seems like I'm always trying to solve some composition problem. Move this way and the background is distracting. Move the other way, there are flaws in the subject. Move again, the DOF doesn't work. But I LOVE it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.