New to forum...my intro pic ;)

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Mark Rogers, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Howdy all.
    Been surfing this thread for a week or so and so impressed with all you post. I'm fairly new at IR but having a blast with it. This below is a vineyard near Grass Valley, Ca.

Lucasie 2.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Guess I need to make pics smaller...;) sorry

3. bmell

bmell

Feb 11, 2009
    Nebraska
    Wow, now that is some strong drama!

Welcome to the cafe!

4. Thanks Brad....that's what I love about color IR ;)

5. Nope, it's just fine. In fact (IMO) the larger the image the better (up to a point, of course).

Welcome and nice job...! :)

6. Wow! That makes for quite the entry--in a very good way! Welcome.

7. BrianVS

BrianVS

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia
    Very nice-

What camera and filter are you using?

8. Believe it or not, it's an old Nikon D100 converted to IR by Lifepixel.. I shoot in RAW (NEF) to avoid too much noise. I have a D3200 I'm going to send to them soon...much better camera.

9. BrianVS

BrianVS

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia
    I believe you! Those 6MPixel CCD's have big pixels- and they do particularly well with infrared. CCD's have much higher sensitivity to IR than newer CMOS sensors. It's not just the IR cutoff filters, the CMOS detectors themselves have the IR bred out of them. I'm tempted to look for a Nikon D200 for IR.

10. Hmmm...did not know all that. I will keep this D100 but had/have planned to have a D3200 converted for various reasons...bigger lcd screen, faster buffer, takes higher meg cards, etc. Are you suggesting I might be disappointed ? I know of several guys who convert more modern cameras and not heard any complaints ...Since the out of camera image on the small lcd is hard for me to assess I really wanted a bigger one... I always try to bracket my photos to get a good exposure. The buffer speed on the D100 is really slow...esp shooting RAW

11. BrianVS

BrianVS

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia
    Check around Flickr and forums for images shot with the converted D3200.

Ask Lifepixel for a spectral response curve for D3200 cameras that they have converted. About a year ago I did a survey of available sensors for a scientific application- the CCD sensors were much better for Infrared.

12. Thanks again. There's a lot of this scientific detail I don't know...not yet any way. I'm sure you know that there are about six different IR filters available from LP. Some likely better than others. I'll call and ask about this re the 3200.

13. Welcome to the forum...Beautiful IR. I'm curious. I have a converted D70 somewhere in my camera closet but have not put to use. Can I ask - what is your post processing involved in achieving the final image?

14. This is great. I have an old D200 I've been saving for a conversion one day. Like Brian, I've read that those old CCDs are the sweet spot for IR conversion. I'm sure LifePixel can give you good information.

15. Bohdan: I use Photoshop CC 2017. Mitch is right, Lifepixel is a great web page full of info. First thing I do before taking any pic is to set a custom white balance. That's important in almost all the choices of filters that LP can provide...but not all. Go to LP and click on 'Start Here' and it will lead you from there. In mine, which is called 'Enhanced IR' I have to switch the red and blue color channels. That will get rid of the overwhelming red in the out of camera pic. There are also a few Nikon filters for PS which can really provide a lot of different looks...One can play with this all day ;) to get what you're looking for... That's the start but theres a lot more which is too much too much to discuss here... If you prefer BW it's much simpler.

16. Thanks for the info Mark. I did play with IR on a D70 a dozen years or so ago and used a filter at that time. Had to custom wb to something green from what I recall and then yes in Photoshop had to switch channels. Since then I acquired somehow a D70s that was converted to IR so I thought life would be simpler...but the few attempts ( and very few) didn't give me anything near acceptable so I was thinking perhaps I should give it another shot.

17. Well, maybe it wasn't converted by pros who know how to do it. A few people try to buy the internal filters and do it themselves. When one buys one thats alread converted you never know what you get...kinda like Forrest Gump and his box of chocolates ;) If the conversion is not done right then likely all that PS work won't fix it.

18. I did just look at Flicker IR pics with the D3200 and there are a bunch. Most are not exactly to my liking but I believe most were done with an IR filter on the lens. I have written to Lifepixel and asked about the effect of the different sensors...no reply as yet

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sarah Resta

Sarah Resta

Apr 19, 2017
    Gainesville, Florida
    Sarah
    This is incredible & unique. Love it!

20. BrianVS

BrianVS

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia
    If the shutter speed is much above 1/8th second and the lens stopped down past F2.8: most likely done with a converted camera.

I found this Flickr member to have some good results with a converted D3200:

randy der

The Shutter-Speed/F-Stop and ISO200 settings that he used show the sensitivity is good in IR: the colors of your D100 are more vivid.

Just some examples- this is an unmodified Nikon Df with a Wii IR Lightbar:

[​IMG]NikonDF_Unmodified by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

With an older Leica M8, unmodified,

[​IMG]M8_nocut by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

And this is with a modified Olympus EP2:

[​IMG]full_spectrum2 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr