New to FX

So I am a longtime member and have been here since the beginning with the migration from dpreview but haven't been active for quite some time now. I recently decided to upgrade to a D800 from the D300 and want to know if there is anything in particular I should be aware of. I do photography for a living and I know I am joining the full frame party a bit late. I pushed the D300 as far as I could but it was time for an upgrade for many reasons. Low light and resolution being the main factors. I shoot mainly on location portraits along with some food photography. The portraits are normally environmental portraits done indoors and I end up using a decent mix of ambient and strobe light. Because of this, I am normally shooting fairly wide open and at many times, around 1/30 or slower. This is what I am hoping full frame will help with.

So is there anything about the D800 or full frame in general that I should be thinking about or aware of? I have yet to actually receive the camera (purchased online) and did have to buy 1 replacement lens for my 17-55 2.8 which also hasn't arrived yet (the 28-70 2.8).

Biggest 'issue' I ran into when I started using a D800 (came from a D3 though, but have owned and used the D300 in the past as well) is that the 36MP are merciless in revealing any sloppiness in your shooting technique (something I regularly have to confess to be guilty of).

Shoot with too much shake (camera or shutter speed), it will show. Lenses with less then near perfect IQ, it will show. I used to own a 2.8/80-200 AF-D zoom. Used it, mostly near of fully wide open even despite the just reputation of being soft at those settings, without complaints and to full satisfaction for nearly twenty years on camera's starting with the F90 to the D3. Couldn't use it D800 any longer however, the softness simply was showing mercilessly so I was forced to upgrade to a 2.8/70-200 VRII.

You'll need bigger cards (at least 16MB) as the RAW files are between 36 and 40+ MB when you shoot uncompressed and 14 bit. Same with your computer, I upgraded from a 4MB PC 64 Athlon notebook (which ate my D3 files alive) to a 16MB I7 Macbook Pro Retina.

However you don't need to upgrade to Capture NX-D (even if it's for free) but can stick with NX2 (and the appropriate version) despite it costing money.
In NX-D you'll lose a number of features like (IMO the most missed ones) the colorpoints, while the possibilities for processing the RAW files are also far more limited.

If however you nail the shoot, the colors, sharpness and DR are quite astonishing and IMO well worth the upgrade

no changes for me, good technique will continue to get you good pics, same w/ poor technique, it will continue to cause problems, IMO nothing is amplified

as far as software, now more than ever use LR, the file size doesn't cause a problem (for me anyway)

nx2 used to struggle w/ a 12mb file so I can only imagine how it would do w/ a d800 14bit RAW file

you just moved the iso arrow from 800 to 3200, the d800 is fine at 3200 and IMO better than the D300 at 800

Thanks guys. I do have a macbook pro that I purchased a couple years ago so I am not too worried about system performance. I'm hoping I have plenty of cf cards, most of which are between 8 and 16gb. What do most of you do for the second card slot? Use it as backup or overflow? I currently don't have any SD cards and am thinking that if I want to use it as backup, I will be looking at getting a pretty large card.

As far as post goes, I have kept it pretty simple and have stuck with bridge and ACR with photoshop.

The increase in available iso is something I am pretty excited about. For indoor shoots I try to keep it as low as possible (normally ends up being around 200 or so) but it does present problems capturing ambient light sometimes. Anything above 300 or more with the D300 and I start getting all sorts of noise.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom