New to Landscapes....Songo Pond

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by FFLVandals, Jul 26, 2007.

1. I started shooting about a year ago with action and sports since I got a couple of rugrats who love to play. I have started to branch out to expand my horizons (no pun intended..did i just right that..lol) and had a try at a few different shots from vacation in maine.

This one I tried to step down the lense to f22 @ 1/160 and -.1 exposure. I thought the leaves might add an interesting natural frame. Not sure if it worked.
    [​IMG]

This one I took at a much faster shutter speed to try to silhoutte the trees and exposed for the sky. It was @ f2.8 1/4000 with -.33 exposure.
    [​IMG]

Finally this was my last attempt later that night with a longer shutter release. It probably would work better if I bracketed two shots and combined them but trying to take some baby steps. This was also at f22 with a 10 second shutter release and no exposure bias..

[​IMG]

I have also picked up a great new program for the mac that does posters, frames, and postcards and used it for these frames. It's called Posterino and it is reasonably priced and simple to use.

Let me know what you think about my attempts and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    I really like the use of the tree branches to frame the 1st shot.
    The boat in the 3rd shot suffers from the long exposure with a significant amount of blur. These long exposures really need stable subjects. Perhaps just the pier would work better.

Looks like a great place to vacation.

3. Hi Bill

Welcome to Nikon Cafe and landscape photography! I am a relative newbie here also and love to see more landscape enthusiasts join in. Nice shots!

Regards to shooting at f22, you might find you get slightly sharper images at f16 or wider as it all depends on where (which f stop) your lens has it's "sweetspots". If you check out some lens reviews of your lens they will give you a rough idea of the best f stops for maximum sharpness / performance. Here are a few:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php

http://photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

Also if you are going to be taking long exposures (longer than 1/30 even with VR in my opinion) a tripod would be very useful.

By the way I like the framing in the first shot; just a tad too much for my tastes, but a nice touch anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2007
  4. Yeah my two boys loved it and it's amazing that kids actually dont need nintendo, dvd movies, disney channel when they have a pond, frogs and some fish to catch to keep them content.

5. Yeah, like I said before I am trying to be creative and I thought it may hbe been a little overkill.

Thanks again for your comments.