New to Mac - Monitor Calibration

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Dmenges, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Hi All... hope this is the right forum for a question like this. I have been using Windows based systems for years and have successfully calibrated my monitors using a Spyder2Pro. Since returning to Mac (and waiting for my copy of CS3) I want to calibrate my new iMac 20 monitor.

When I go to System Preferences and choose Displays and iMac I have 5 choices under Display;

Adobe (1998) RGB D65 Wp 2.2 Gama
    Adobe RGB (1998)
    Generic RGB Profile
    iMac
    sRGB

I shoot RAW in the Adobe RGB (1998) colorspace... which monitor do I choose (default is the iMac)

Now I go to the Color side and choose Calibrate. Once there I set the target gamma to 2.2 and the native white point to 6500K.

Getting to the real question... to use the Spyder, it says to "disable Adobe gamma or any other 3rd party monitor calibration software in the "Start up" folder. Am I all set with this? I haven't loaded any third party software, so am I good to go with the Spyder2 calibration?

Thanks for any reply. This seems so simple, but I don't want to mess this up right out of the gate
    :smile:

2. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    Don

You can choose any profile that you want since you are going to replace it anyway when you calibrate, so pick iMac to start (good as any).

You can remove Adobe Gamma and other calibrators from the start-up folder, but as long as you don't use them to do a calibration i don't think it really matters. I use an Eye-One Display 2 and it didn't tell me to remove them from my start-up folder.

I have my gamma set to 2.2 and the starting white point was 6500, although that again got changed as part of the calibration process.

I think you are good to go.

3. Movin on....

Thanks Simon. I guess I needed thelittle push. I DL'ed the newest Spyder software and went at it. Monitor is niow calibrated and looking good. Much easier to do than on the PC.

4. sclamb

sclamb

Jan 2, 2007
    London
    You're welcome. Everything is easier on a Mac :smile:

5. How was it easier? Not a rhetorical question; truly interested in how you found it easier. (I have found it trickier because the iMac does not allow a contrast setting as part of the process, and I find the settings do not "stick" as well with the iMac as with my Dell LCD monitor.)

Thanks in advance for any tips, suggestions . . . .

6. Hi Marie... my interpretation of "do not stick as well" is that it "worked", but that the settings drifted after a while requiriing you to do another calibration. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I did not have that problem.

I had a Dell with a Samsung 19" LCD screen. It did not have "hardware" controlled brightness, contrast, etc.... similar to the iMac... so I had to use the software controls to set these prior to calibrating. Maybe your Dell LCD has hardware controlled adjustments. My problem with the Samsung was finding where the monitor drivers were to back them up and then knowing where the new drivers went... etc. My attempt to calibrate was rejected several times until I got it right. The Mac just seemed to know where everything was and saved a new file right where I expected it would be.

Don't get me wrong, I use both platforms and each has their advantages.

7. Thanks for hopping back on! Much appreciated. Yes, your inerpretation is correct. I set it on the Gretag and then when I see the settings that were logged, they are slightly different than those in place when I hit the "stop" button during the calibration. And the lack of contrast calibration seems like a negative. Yes, I could do this on my Dell LCD, very easy and smooth. Prints were ALWAYS spot-on!

Calibration and printing are the biggest disappointments for me thus far in the pc to mac switch. I believe I will reach nirvana eventually, but it may take me some time. Aperture has not been as smooth for printing as I expected. I also really miss my printing software: Qimage. And, I cannot yet afford XP and Parellels just for Qimage, but I may do it eventually just to have Qimage back.

I am contemplating hooking up my Dell LCD as a second monitor and using that monitor as my calibrated one for soft-proofing. What do you (or others) think?