New (to me) Nikkor 16mm/3.5 AI lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by DABO, Mar 24, 2007.

1. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    I sold four wide angle lenses (Tokina 12-24, Nikkor 28/2, Sigma 30/1.4 and Nikkor 35/2). I had pretty much decided to get a Nikkor 17-35. But I was obsessing and looking around and decided to try this lens first. It’s less than half the price of the 17-35 and it’s less than half the size – about the size of a 50mm lens. I figured I would either love it and keep it or not love it and sell it and get the 17-35. Bjorn and David Ruether sing the praises of this lens and wherever I could find mention of this lens in the various photo forums (which is not that much) the owners loved them.

Anyway, the lens came yesterday. Here’s what it looks like:

Between carpools, chores and other obligations I only had about 20 minutes to try the lens out today. I picked up my youngest from baseball practice and had him sit next to the car (1/90 f/16):

View attachment 86882

I made a quick stop with him at nearby Greystone Psychiatric Hospital, now decommissioned and empty, which supposedly had the largest continuous foundation in the United States from the time it was built until the Pentagon was built in 1943. Big building. The first shot is how it looks from the camera. Unfortunately, because I was standing so close to the building, I had too point the lens up a bit to include the flag, which caused lots of "bending". The picture just below was a quickie attempt to straighten it using the “warp” function in PS. I couldn’t figure out how to straighten it with “lens correction”. I’ll eventually download PTLens for the job. (1/160 f/11).

View attachment 86883

View attachment 86884

A shot taken at the bottom of the tree you can see to the left of the above picture. I wanted to check out the depth of field. The camera was about 9 inches from the trunk facing almost straight up. (1/30 f/22).

View attachment 86885

This fisheye is a beautiful small lens. Too soon to love it, perhaps, but a lovely affair, followed by a fulfilling long term relationship is a definite possibility. To be continued….

DAB

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.