New to Mirrorless with Sony A7II

Real Name
Mike
Here are some images from today with the 35/1.4 showing the corners. I mounted the camera on a tripod in my yard and used manual focus. I should have set the exposure to manual as well, but forgot. After making sure the lamp was focused, I pivoted the camera to put the lamp head in each of the corners.

1. This is the full size using the lamp head as the target.

35_1-4_Full_Image-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Crop of target in the center of the frame.

35_1-4_Center.jpg

3. Target in the upper right corner of the frame.

35_1-4_Upper_Right.jpg

4. Crop of target in the upper left corner of the frame.

35_1-4_Upper_Left.jpg

5. Crop of target in the lower left corner of the frame.

35_1-4_Lower_Left.jpg

6. Crop of target in the lower right corner of the frame.

35_1-4_Lower_Right.jpg

Mike, looks like pretty even performance. Just to clarify, did you only focus once while the target was centered, then reframe? Or did you refocus each time after reframing? If you want to look for asymmetric field curvature indicating decentering, you'd need to do the former. Alternatively you can tilt the camera diagonally both directions so that the horizon hits each corner of the frame, and check for any asymmetry that way. By the way, the central performance at f/2 near infinity looks sweet!

Real Name
Mike
Matt, I manually focused only once on the lamp head in the center. Then I reframed the camera to put the lamp head in each corner without touching the camera settings or focus. I did straighten the lamp post on the two lower corner images in post processing. I am very happy with the performance of this lens out of the box.

If I do this again, when the other lenses arrive, I'll manually set the exposure as well so I don't have to do anything in post processing.

Matt, I manually focused only once on the lamp head in the center. Then I reframed the camera to put the lamp head in each corner without touching the camera settings or focus. I did straighten the lamp post on the two lower corner images in post processing. I am very happy with the performance of this lens out of the box.

If I do this again, when the other lenses arrive, I'll manually set the exposure as well so I don't have to do anything in post processing.

In that case you got a great copy of the lens. Can't wait to see some images once you use it more.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom