New to NX

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris C, Aug 3, 2007.

1. I'm new to Capture NX. It's taking me a little while to get the hang of it.....even though it's fairly intuitive. Here's a shot from a trip back in February in Bellingham, Washington:

Any comments or constructive criticisms will be appreciated.
  2. Chris

Not a post processing expert by any means but this looks good to me.
  3. Thanks, Dan. I'm certainly not a PP expert either. That's why I'm asking for comments. We've a lot of really good post processing experts here on the forum. Hope they'll respond. I've been struggling with my equipment, my computer, and post processing skills for some time now.
  4. Looks good to me too, especially for such a high contrast scene. The reflection is treated especially well. Best thing you can do for yourself is to invest the 30 bucks for Jason Odell's e-book, "The photographers guide to Capture NX" Then YOU can teach me :)
  5. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That really looks great.

You are really getting good at NX

6. Actually, I bought Jason's book before I bought NX...........but thanks.

Thanks for the accolades, Gale.
  7. Works for me, well done Chris.
  8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Very Very nice Chris, I think you did well on this shot,

I did a couple of other steps to give a bit of snap to your photo, and I did them in NX. Now, remember the results will be a bit different on your full res image compared to this lower res file.

I first wnet into the brightness/contrast control and set brightness at +6 and contrast +2, I liked this better than a further levels work which you probably already did.

I also went into color booster and added +8 which added a little more depth to the reds and blues, I also added saturation to the entire image of +11%

I did a final output sharpening of 10, 5, 1 which seemed to work on the web size file, you might try on the full size one a setting in NX of 14, 6, 2,

I would do these steps after what you already did to the image to get it into your fine image you posted.

Once again, this is probably more personal preference than anything else, and monitors and everything else including our own eyesight adds variables!

Congrats on a fine image,

tweaked a smidge more:
  9. Thanks, Wade. I like what you did. I can't use my unsharp mask in NX. If I do, it won't let me save it. (too much stuff for my underpowered computer!) I'm overly conscious of doing too much to an image. It's really easy to over manipulate them and leave them fake looking. Even though I've been guilty of that, I don't particularly like it. What you did looks great.
  10. Amen to that Chris. I plead guilty too, though my fakeries have never been seen by others. I'm trying to keep my pictures as "honest" as I can--no exaggerated color shifts, pumped up contrasts, and the like. I readily believe there is an art in all of that, but it is not for me. Lots to learn from everyone!