New to NXD question

Help please, trying to decide on move to NXD but finding it a struggle after LR.
i made a part edit to NEF from an external HD in Luminar. Exported as TIFF to original folder.
That TIFF can be opened in LR and View NX-i but NXD does not see it even in the folder which can be seen in NXD. ie all the other original shots are seen but not that one in that folder.
Am I expecting too much?

Thank you

I use "Open with . . NX-D" in View NX (right click on the image in the filmstrip/grid) and it opens right up!

Proof!
Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 10.05.31.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Many thanks will look at that, very much a learner with NXD
I used it exclusively in the "old" days. Not at all nowadays. Just Nikon Transfer 2 and occasionally View-NX. I was able to see .tiff files (edited in DXO-Photo Lab) in NXD grid mode and open them.

Clicking on "HELP" "Capture NX-D Help" will get you a link to a downloadable pdf manual.

Thanks, have the pdf, never find Nikon manuals seldom give me the answers to my questions. OK as basic photography statement of facts. Been around LR too long, its a very simple but comprehensive and logical editor.
Picked up the basics of NXD recently just leaves the odd questions that experienced users know.

Thanks, have the pdf, never find Nikon manuals seldom give me the answers to my questions. OK as basic photography statement of facts. Been around LR too long, its a very simple but comprehensive and logical editor.
Picked up the basics of NXD recently just leaves the odd questions that experienced users know.
Totally agree with you—Nikon needs better manuals. What I do like about their software is it shows all the colors and other image settings. I often use that as a guide for what my NEFs should look like. And it's slow and clunky on my aging MacBook Pro.

Slow and clunky too on my iMAC 27" Retina with 64bit Catalina, I have an old 2012/13 MacBook Pro, doubt it is much worse.
I do like the amount of camera info NXD gives and will probably carry on with it and give up my LR subs eventually.

Nick I just found out that the long awaited Nikon fix for mac Catalina & NXD/View which became available this week does not completely fix everything, some outstanding issues with Transfer for example. Waiting game again now.

I use Nikon Transfer , Nx View, then NXD to convert to Raw files Tiff or Jpeg then do post with Topaz Studio. Yes I too found NXD slow.

Thanks for reply, Nikon Transfer is not Working on for my mac (Catalina) maybe have to leave the problem until Nikon sort it, it is still open on Nikon UK site.

Last edited:
Yes thanks it should be fine up to and including High Sierra. I had, like most people a straightforward update to Catalina as aDobe LR etc were prepared, I have come to NXD after that so just discovered Nikon SW wasnt yet fully compatible. They have NXD upated now but some issues outstanding including Transfer.

Have just discovered the Open With menu in NXD could be what I want if I can add Luminar in there .
As per norm NXD help doesn't exactly explain this, managed to add Luminar but still trying to complete the procedure. Thanks for all replies.

NX-D-Open-01.jpg
NX-D-Open-02.jpg

I also found that NX did not want to work properly with Catalina. I have a Windows laptop that I use for my amateur radio applications so I loaded NX on that and it works as advertised.
It is slow. I don't like paying for a processor, I was hooked in my LR for a year and wasted my money before I cancelled. The Mac Photo is not all that great. I may work for phone images, but not for NEF.

Now have it all working nicely in Catalina including Transfer2. Decided to cancel LR and I am getting into NXD well, it will never be the complete package like LR and takes ages to do anything but have found that comparative colors can be achieved. Main misses after LR are texture control, keywords, radial and graduated filters plus general workflow structure. I only shoot RAW and have an iMac.

Latest threads

Top Bottom