New to portraits and looking for comments

Discussion in 'People' started by jryoung1947, Jun 13, 2007.

1. I am starting to poke around at this. I got an 85mm f2 from KEH that give me decent DOF and/but is fairly soft. Do you all think this is too soft? I am also looking at borders with mixed results.

543246935_5013e3ab71_o.

2. Welcome to the wonderful world of portrait shooting! :biggrin: To me the image doesn't look soft, look at her sunglasses. To me, it just looks like your focus point was her glasses and not her face. I'm not feeling the choice of border...

85 f/2 huh?? Sounds like a nice piece of glass...any pics of the lens? Is that an auto or manual focus lens??

3. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I think it's a nice image, and I like the DOF. IMO it's sharp enough just a bit dark - maybe in need of a levels adjustment. I agree with Keith on the frame.

4. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa

Yep a little dark is all.

5. 543921398_91580415dc_m.

543921444_826c404ef9_m.

It is a simple AIS manual focus 85mm (KEH $150). Frits got me started on the AI lenses and I am having some fun for little money.

I am just not artistic enough in border choice. Plus it was a pain to do. :confused:

Thanks for all the comments!

6. Thanks. Don't worry about the borders - they are SOOOOOOOOOO not necessary. If you're actually framing any of the images to hang, the frame is going to cancel out that border anyway.

7. Hope you don't mind...I took a stab at your levels adjustment, plus a little sharpening around her eyes and mouth, with a gaussian blur on the rest...

yours/mine

543246935_5013e3ab71_o. 162558367-L.

8. fyreflie24

fyreflie24

Jun 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Nice adjustments JBL! Just what this lovely shot need to go the next level.

Awesome start! Seriously, it's the little niggles that can really make a portrait, as a wise old man once told me (who will probably be around any sec now).

9. Of course, you mean a wise *OLDER* man...there is a distinct difference between being called an *OLDER* man versus being called an *OLD* man...while I resemble the former, I will fight the latter till the end :biggrin:

10. Totally excellent, thanks. I am pretty good adjusting bugs and landscapes but this lower contrast just eluded me. I will give this a try, thanks so much.

11. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    This is a very nice shot JR. A little dark yes, but nonetheless I like the composition and you captured her wonderful smile. I'm with the others when it comes to borders.

As far as softness goes, Keith correctly pointed out that the sunglasses were in focus. You must focus carefully and keep the cam and the subject very still when shooting with the wide apertures. I like to focus on the lower eyelash area of the eye closest to the cam.

A little post processing can make your images really shine, as John demonstrated.

Kind regards,

12. No problem. Levels are the first thing I always adjust on my photos...it makes a lot of difference for a very little amount of work.

13. With just a little work by John your portait image has turned into something special. Very nice.

14. fyreflie24

fyreflie24

Jun 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    OK I downloaded your image and took a look at the histogram. You have a little 'tail' on the right side of the histogram. If you bring your image into PS, make a levels adjustment layer and move your right slider to where your data starts. Then take a 50% or so black brush on to the mask on her shirt to bring back the data there.

15. Miguel

Miguel

May 12, 2006
    Norwalk, CT
    I think you're off to a good start and once you get the pp down you'll have it. Nice work.

16. That's a sweet lens. I got rid of my 85mm f1.4 and kept my 105mm f2.5 AIS... there's something to be said about all that IQ for pennies on the dollar... and I've owned some pretty expensive glass.

Here's two tutorials you may find helpful in processing your portraits.

[tutiki]Beautiful_Skin_by_Czechman[/tutiki]

[tutiki]Basic_Photo_Adjustments[/tutiki]

Signed,
    The old man

17. Thanks to you all!

18. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I think it looks really great. You are going to be good at this! The levels adjustment by John just made it shine.....