New to RAW question.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by twilli53, Jul 30, 2007.

1. I shot some pics this morning in RAW , D80, and when I tried so save them to a file my computer told me there were no pictures on the camera. They are there the computer is not finding them. I currently have trial copies of DxO and Bibble but when I connect my camera I am missing something in order to load the images. I know it is something easy but I am missing it. Thanks for any help here.
    Tim

2. Not sure what you're doing, but I usually take my memory card out of my camera and put it in a card reader, then copy the files. In a pinch (or if I'm with my laptop) I'll connect the two and the camera will look like a flash drive, and I'll again copy them over.

Neither of these involves any (additional) programs, just regular file type operations.

3. I am plugging my camera directly into my destop. I do not have a card reader. I have no problems with JPEG's but when I shot in RAW the computer tell me there are no pictures on the camera.

4. Are you using a program to look at your camera, or windows explorer?

If it's windows explorer and it says its empty, it's empty. If it's some other program, check to see if it has a box marked something like "show files of type", then switch it to "all files".

5. It's windows explorer. the images are on the camera. i can view them in th LCD. but the computer tells me it's empty.maybe windows does not recognize RAW files. I shot strictly RAW not RAW+ JPEG.

6. Windows explorer should see the .NEF files on your camera even if it doesn't recognise them as image files. What mode do you have the camera's USB interface in? If it's PTP then try "Mass storage" and see if that works.

Ronnie

7. I got it.
    I had to go to PTP on the camera. Mass Storage would not get it done.

8. fscherz

fscherz

Jul 28, 2007
    Austria
    I use FastStone to download the files and preview (=delete the bad ones). It can create, like Lightroom and a view other programs, a subdirectory structore based on the year & day the photo was shot. It also can view NEF pretty quick and it's free!

9. Thanks Franz, That was easy. Neat little program.