New toy - guess what...

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Hi folks,
last week I've bought an old, but new to me camera.

Who can identify it?

#1 - First hint
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Enjoy
Klaus

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Isn't it fun to get new toys, even when they aren't brand-new?!
I think David has it...F4.
David is right!
After 32 years of dreaming of it I got a F4/F4S. Both grips and a 50mm f/1.4 AF lens are included.
And what to say? It's still a masterpiece of technology.

It is a funny story behind my decision to buy one:
Back in 1988 I bought a F801 (N8008) and was so proud of it. I kept my money for over a year to buy it.
Went to the dealer, paid cash and brought it home.
In the evening I visited a good friend of mine, a skilled photographer, to show him my new toy.
He said "Wait a moment. Please, help me to prepare my equipment for tomorrow." I followed him to a small room with shelves where he stowed all his things. Looking here, looking there, he suddenly reached out in my direction and handled a F4S to me...
The virus was laid.

I still own my F801, but didn't use it since 2003 anymore. It is still working but settling in my display case.

I remember the F4 and how that was for me -- well, Nikon, any Nikon -- was "the gold standard," but at that time I couldn't afford an F4, nor was I really ready for one in terms of ability to use it, so progressing from my Minolta something-or-other got a Nikon N90 instead, and moved up to the N90S later..... I took some classes in photography that year and one of the students had an F5, Ooh, those of us in the class who realized what it was stared at him in envy! I remember thinking, too, that if he had an F5, why the heck was he in a beginning-level photography class?

Great pickup Klaus! I don't use it much, but I have an F4 with grip... probably about the best feeling camera in my hands that I've ever held... And it makes a nice piece in my F lineup, right between the F3 and the F5! :) My goal is still to own all the Nikon Fs from F to F6 if possible. Lovely cameras every one.

Great body. I traded one of mine in on an F5, and loved it even more. Even though the F5 was a beast, there was something about that F4 heft that made me feel like I could use it as a survival tool if needed!

I got an F4, and immediately got the small grip battery pack and ditched the lower battery pack.
For me, a senior citizen, the F4 + lower battery pack was too heavy.

The auto focus on the F4 was/is FAST.
Someone complained about the slow AF of a lens. I countered that the CAMERA has a LOT to do with how FAST the AF is. The AF of my D70 was a LOT slower than the F4. It was buzzzzz vs. whack.

I guess I'm a minority, I still like my old F2.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great pickup Klaus! I don't use it much, but I have an F4 with grip... probably about the best feeling camera in my hands that I've ever held... And it makes a nice piece in my F lineup, right between the F3 and the F5! :) My goal is still to own all the Nikon Fs from F to F6 if possible. Lovely cameras every one.
Hi Shaun,
now you've got my interest...
F3 - which version do you own? F3AF with the special lenses? Or Titanium? Champagne or black?

Kind regards
Klaus

Hi Shaun,
now you've got my interest...
F3 - which version do you own? F3AF with the special lenses? Or Titanium? Champagne or black?

Kind regards
Klaus
F3HP, no grip, all black. :) No special lenses... just a couple of old Nikkors that I have obtained over the years... In fact, I think I bought it from Mitchell here on the Cafe. Great camera, but def. harder to use than the F4/F5... but easier than my old Minolta SRT-101s!!! Talk about bricks...

Great body. I traded one of mine in on an F5, and loved it even more. Even though the F5 was a beast, there was something about that F4 heft that made me feel like I could use it as a survival tool if needed!
Both my F4 and my F5 feel in my hands like I could use them to pound 16p nails no problem, with no harm to the cameras! :)

I got an F4, and immediately got the small grip battery pack and ditched the lower battery pack.
For me, a senior citizen, the F4 + lower battery pack was too heavy.

The auto focus on the F4 was/is FAST.
Someone complained about the slow AF of a lens. I countered that the CAMERA has a LOT to do with how FAST the AF is. The AF of my D70 was a LOT slower than the F4. It was buzzzzz vs. whack.

I guess I'm a minority, I still like my old F2.
Install Energizer lithium AAs in it, and it’ll go to the next level!!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom