New toy - Nikon 55mm f/3.5 AI

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The VF on the D70 makes MF a little tough. Also the DOF at macro distances is brutally shallow so it looks like I'll be getting a lot more use out of the tripod. Handholding isn't gonna cut it.

Handheld macros are next to impossible - although some do come off. You will need a good quality one too, with solid holding capability. Lighting will also become an issue in many cases.
I have the 55/2.8 AIS and it has the same high degree of sharpness as yours seems to be showing. I love this lens, which seems to do well as a portrait taker as well. Do not advise trying to get bees and stingy thingys into macro with this FL.

Have fun.

patrickh said:
Handheld macros are next to impossible - although some do come off. You will need a good quality one too, with solid holding capability. Lighting will also become an issue in many cases.
I have the 55/2.8 AIS and it has the same high degree of sharpness as yours seems to be showing. I love this lens, which seems to do well as a portrait taker as well. Do not advise trying to get bees and stingy thingys into macro with this FL.

Have fun.
Yeah I noticed there's not much working distance, love it so far though.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom