1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New toy

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by mhcfires, Jul 13, 2008.

1. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    We bought this new camera today. It came with three lenses, 22 holders, one Polaroid sheet holder and a load of filters and other goodies. Now we have to learn to use it properly.

2662443727_713afa87a1_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2662443895_ccc56875d9_o.jpg

2. Woo hoo! Needed a lightweight camera, eh ?

Sean

3. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Yeah, the N80 was much too light. This thing makes my Mamiya C3 feel like a paperweight. :biggrin:

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    cool! looking forward to seeing what you can do with something that big :smile: the infinite combinations of tilt and swivel would drive me crazy.

ricky

5. Nils

Nils

Mar 30, 2007
    Aptos, California
    Yes!!! I'm so excited for you, do you have a way to scan the negatives, I don't and I always seem to print to big to fit in my scanner. 4x5 is ridiculously easy to learn, its just intimidating.
    enjoy,
    Nils

6. Gray Fox

Gray Fox

Jan 12, 2007
    London Ontario
    Congratulations, you will love this outfit. You mentioned three lenses, what are they?

7. Sweet ! You will have fun. Hard to tell from pics if it is 4x5 or 8x10 ?
    Now look for a decent used Large Format Nikkor lens.
    Bestregards,

8. michael
    what an awesome acquisition
    wow
    good luck
    can't wait to see you put it to good use

9. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    That's one impressive camera, I look forward to seeing some images from it.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey, cool Michael! Too bad they stopped making Polaroid film. Although expensive, it is (was) the best way to learn view camera technique. Perhaps if you seek out photo stores, you will find someplace that still has it stock. I think there is at least one store here that has quite a bit 4x5 Polaroid sheet film left.

Or you could shoot trix or hp5. Both of those are easy to shoot, and have enough latitude to make learning fun. You would want to find a daylight tank to develop it in, cause the whole trays in the dark thing is ... messy.

11. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    That's really cool. What does something like that cost?

12. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    It is a 4x5 Toyo View D45G, came with 3 lenses, 210mm f5.6 Schneider, 90mm Super Angulon Schneider and 150mm f5.6 Schneider. He also threw in a huge box of assorted filters and gels. The fellow I bought this outfit from is retiring and wanted it to go to a good home. I think that Patty and I will make good use of it. He also gave me a lot of film, unfortunately a lot of it is Ektachrome, so I'll have to buy more B&W. Freestyle has good prices on Arista.edu, so I'll probably go with that. I have about 50 sheets right now to play with. I also have some 4x5 direct positive paper that I was going to use on a pinhole project, I'll probably try some of it with the new camera.

All I have for a scanner is the Epson V500. It may present a problem. For processing, I am going to try and get a daylight tube processor and go with that. Thanks for all the positive comments and wish me luck.

:smile:

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Your scanner should work just fine. I have used a tube for film processing, and the only thing you will need to do (besides all the steps) is be sure the emulsion faces in. I have also shot a bit of ektachrome. Lemme tell ya, noting looks quite as amazing as a large format transparency! Give it about a third less exposure than you would negative film, because it will lighten up as you will be shining light through it.

What f-stop is your superangulon. I have an f/8, but I really wish it was faster!

14. Sweet camera Mike. Have fun! Chris, the V500 won't do 4X5!

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I used to do LF on a 1600 - it had only a 35mm strip light. Scan a strip, move the neg, scan the next strip ... then stitch them all together like a panorama!

16. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Mine is also an f/8. I can live with it. It is mounted on a recessed board and I also have a bag bellows. cool

I have managed to scan MRI films, you know how big they are. I used a light box over the top of the scanner and used it as a regular flatbed. It worked, kinda. I was quite surprised by the quality of the scan for a jury rig operation.

I'll do it this way if the former doesn't work with this scanner :wink:

17. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    My first shot with the big puppy. My setup is for the digital D80, but it seemed to work ok for this shot. I like being able to control the perspective, I need a loupe so that I can better focus the thing. I'll pick one up tomorrow. I like having the polaroid back. There were a few sheets of ISO 100 Polariod film in the package, I used one for this shot. a bit overexposed, but I'll learn. I'm going to get a few boxes of Polaroid tomorrow when I go into San Diego. I'll also pick up a magnifying loupe.

2666949706_72f64c5d57_o.jpg

This is the tabletop setup I used for the shot:

2666125695_863c3d1fe8_o.jpg

18. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    I bought some film today, only one box of Polaroid Type 54. They get 65 bucks for a box of 20! URK! I wanted some Type 55 P/N, but as it becomes more scarce, the price goes up. $95. no way :frown: I'll try and buy another box of the 54 in a few weeks. I also bought some Ilford Delta 100. I still have to get a tank of sorts to process this stuff. Those BTZS tubes are ok for one sheet, but they get a little cumbersome if you have a half dozen or so sheets to keep track of. Probably won't have a chance to do anything for a few days, then I'll get some more practice. :smile:

19. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That 55 is damn nice film though, but at four bucks a shot - it had better be! But remember, that price gets you the film, development and a contact print all in one!

20. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    I used the film pack version of it when it first came out. I loved it. It was worth the bother of carrying the bucket of sulfite solution to clear the negs. I may spring for it, but I can't afford it right now. We spent a bundle on the camera, and film and other stuff. I still have to catalog the filters that came with this outfit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.