New Tricks (EOS R) vs an Old Dog (Ken's new D780)

Real Name
Ken St John
After a lot of consideration, trial and error, and hours of serious contemplation, it's become clear that I am just too much of an "old dog," and using my mirrorless camera (Canon EOS R - a definite "new trick") is just not as much fun as I'd like. So ... the order folks at Adorama have seduced me into returning back to the Nikon fold. Just ordered a new D780, plus a Nikon factory refurb 24-120 f4 VR, a 50mm f1.8, and a SB500 to restart my Nikon kit!! This new D780 should arrive sometime next week!! And, all of my Canon gear will be heading to mpb.com as their purchase quote was terrific. In fact ... I'll be making a few $$ on the deal!!

I considered stepping up to the D850, but the more I looked and compared, the more I didn't see much to justify the $700-800 price bump, except of course, the roughly double size MP sensor!! But, since I've been happy with the 24MP sensor I've been using on the Canon's, I think I'll be able to manage just fine with the D780's sensor!! Lens wise, I used a 24-120 f4 with my old D750 and loved it ... it was on the camera at least 90% of the time, so that was a no brainer. And I always like to have a "nifty fifty" handy!!

The one thing I'll be missing is something in the tele range, like maybe a 70-200, possibly with a TC, at some point. But that's down the road.

Keep an eye on the Octoberfest for a change in equipment ... :)

By the way .. please don't take this as "I hate Canon ... it's no good!!" kind of change! In fact, just the opposite. I have enjoyed their system and found very few, if any, differences in the final products -> my images. I just decided that since I've been a Nikon shooter since my Nikkormat days, I might as well return to Nikon rather than investing in a 5D Mk IV or another Canon DSLR. And, I'm afraid this mirrorless viewfinder just didn't work well with my brain!! Plus, I kept accidentally turning the wheel on the lens when I didn't need to, the R's body just felt to lightweight in my hands, etc., etc. I never even considered the Z-series, either!! I want my pentaprism back!! :)

Cheers!!

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
I know what it is like to learn a new system. I changed from Nikon to Sony a couple of years ago. It was a big learning curve for me.

I stuck with Sony and am now comfortable with it. The only thing I miss is focus stacking.
I found that the learning curve overall (Nikon --> Canon) was not that bad . My main "issue" popped up when I followed the crowd to the mirrorless world. My budget would not allow a wholesale shift (camera & lenses), so I just sold my 6D Mk II and bought this EOS R, plus the EF/RF lens adaptor so I could continue to use all of my Canon EF lenses. The longer I used it, the more I disliked it ... too light in my hands (although using the battery grip full time mitigated some of that), I kept bumping the lens ring so I'd have to check my settings every time I took a shot, unbalanced weight distribution with the extra inch or so of the adapter and, perhaps most of all, I just did not like using the LCD viewfinder at all!! It is too contrasty and just not all that sharp compared to the optical view in a DSLR.

So, my options were to sell all of my lenses and see if changing to some of the RF series of lenses would solve the problems (some yes, some no); sell the R and go back to a 6D II or maybe a 5D IV and stick with Canon; or sell the whole kit and go back to Nikon. I decided to do the latter even though I'm reducing the number of lenses (not replacing my 17-40 wide angle, or my 70-200 telephoto to make the $$ work). I'm comfortable as I loved my 24-120 that I used on my "old" D750 and will be happy with that for quite a while as my main workhorse. One thing I will probably eventually do is shop for some of the older Nikon lenses to fill the gaps at the wide & telephoto ends. I found the older "film" lenses in particular added an indescribable something to many of my older images and I'll probably be looking at those first.

Cheers!!

Ken

For me the transition from Nikon to Sony was somewhat easy, because I'd already had a Sony NEX 7 (one of the early mirrorless cameras) and the RX10 IV and RX100 VII so that at least I was fairly familiar with the menu system and the way the camera handled. Small and lightweight suits me, as I'm small and lightweight, too! LOL! However, that advantage disappears very quickly when I pick up a heavy lens with which to go out shooting..... I knew from earlier experimentation with using third-party lenses back in my Nikon days that I prefer native lenses, and I also had experimented some years ago with an adapter to use my Nikon lenses on the Sony NEX 7, which turned out to be less than satisfactory. So my mantra was: native lenses only, no adapters.

I also knew myself well enough to realize that it would be more prudent to just bite the bullet and take the plunge all the way and make the switch completely, rather than trying to hang on to a Nikon body and a few lenses while also working with a Sony body and new lenses. It had already become apparent to me over the year or two preceding my decision and big move that the Nikon gear would wind up just sitting in the camera bags and Pelican case day after day, unused..... Also, yes, by trading in all the older, previous gear made the financial hit a lot less painful than it otherwise would have been. Since then, over time I've added a few more lenses as the need/desire arose and budget permitted.

It is odd that Sony still doesn't provide a way of doing focus stacking in-camera, but it's not something I miss, exactly, since I've never tried it anyway. If and when Sony does add this function/feature, then I'll take it for a spin, see how that all works.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom