new tripod for xmas to myself

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by dmwphoto, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Ordered myself a new Gitzo carbon fibre 1548, and a second leveling head (1321). Flew and Paul were most correct, once I used the leveling head I would understand! anyway now have the 1348 for my "light" tripod and 1548 for the long lens. Both equipped with the 1321 leveling base.
    Dave

2. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Nice Christmas present to yourself, Dave. Congrats. I have also thought of getting the 1548 for the same reasons. However, I have discovered that the leveling head on my 1348 gets in the way for ground level macro work, so will leave it on the 1548 (or 1525) and leave the base plate on the 1348. Keep us posted on how you like the new "gift"!

3. Thanks Jerry. I can see where the leveling head may be an issue for the ground level work, but quite useful for landscape, so I may find myself changing things around. I sold my 1227 set up to another cafe member and may find that I miss it's light weight on the mountain wildflower work.
    Dave

4. Any advice for light travel tripod?

Going for a trip to UK on the 23rd.

I have the trusty Gitzo2227 CF, but it's a bit too big & cumbersome for the holiday trip & long walks.

Any opinions/experiences/tips?

I know I'll compromise on support by getting a smaller tripod, but it's either that or no support....& I sure know which of those two options is the better one...:biggrin:

5. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    What type of equipment will you be supporting, i.e. camera, lens selection, etc.
    In my limited experience a too light of a tripod is not much better than nothing at all. Will you be shooting long exposures in poor light, using long lenses, etc.? If you require something to support your gear for "normal" pics you might consider a sturdy monopod. For my own use I learned long ago to get used to carrying a real decent tripod if I want remotely good photos. If I am hiking long distances then I carry a sturdy monopod. The latter sacrifices panoramas and such, at least in my case.

6. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Another head to consider is the Really Right Stuff B-55 PCL (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/ballheads/index.html) If you want to shoot panoramas and like ball heads, it is a nice option. One warning though, I had the center screw which attaches the panning portion to the rest of the head get loose while in the field. I had to drive 25 miles into a town to get an allen wrench to tighten it. I applied locktite to the screw, and since then, it's never come loose.