New Used Lens

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by clm5948, Jun 27, 2007.

1. clm5948

clm5948

Oct 9, 2006
    East Texas
    If this is the wrong place to ask this please let me know.

I bought a used nikon 105 micro (non-vr) and the seller said it was "Mint". Well it has a small dust speck inside the glass just off-center. It also has a slightly sloppy manual focus - meaning the focus can change if you touch it even without turning it. If I hold the focus ring steady its not a problem My question: are these things I should be concerned about? Is that a mint lens (otherwise looked nearly untouched and newish). My mind needs some soothing...your input? thanks
    Craig

2. I wouldnt call it mint if dust is inside and the manny focus is sloppy.

3. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    The dust is nothing, but such a loose focus, especially on a macro lens, would be a deal breaker for me.

DAB

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Send it back

5. bubz

bubz

Jul 5, 2006
    Oklahoma City, OK
    ya send it back.

6. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Well,

My $0.02 is that it could very well still be described as MINT and I wouldn't have blamed the seller. I sold many lenses on Ebay the Canon Forums when I switched over to Nikon and because I've never had dust spots show up in my images, I never even bothered to check if there were any inside the lenses. Now, none of my lenses were described as MINT, but that was due to there usually being 1 or 2 small nicks or abrasions on the body of the lens.

I would not knock on anyone selling anything as MINT simply because there was dust inside. Shoot with the lense first, see if the dust shows up in your photos ... if it doesn't, who cares that its there. As far as the sloppy manual focus, neither you nor I have any idea what the sellers experience level is. For all we know, he takes 15 photos a year with his Nikon F5 that he thought he'd get more use out of and has no idea what a proper manual focus ring should feel like.

If you are not happy, by all means, send it back ... but if it were me, I would not give this seller any negative feedback or accuse him of false advertising .... while it may be true, there is way too much doubt in play to accuse someone of wrongdoing.

Bill