New visitor to the backyard

Yesterday, we had (a tiny bit of) snow which is incredibly rare in our area. As such, I wanted to see if I could get some shots with an atypical feel.

When I saw this fella, I thought it was one of our common Red-Bellied WP's. However, his behavior was a bit different than I'm accustomed to. I attributed it the snow.

When I got the images onto the computer, I realized that it was not a RBWP afterall, but instead a Golden-Fronted WP - a 1st for me! :) After looking at the images for a bit, it became obvious that this guy has a shorter torso than the RB's and he holds his tail feathers different and they may be shorter too.

I have no explanation for why I shot all afternoon @ 5.6 rather than F4, other then cold brain. Lol....

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I hate feeder shots, but.....

Nice set of an interesting bird. I really like the third image. The bird is turned away just enough to reveal its back well but the head is turned back into profile. There's a nice contrast with the BG as well. Well done.

Well done, Phil. That is an interesting bird which I haven't seen.

The range map shows it lives from Central America up through Mexico and central Texas, extending into Oklahoma. Apparently, Texas and Oklahoma are the only states in the U.S. where they appear.

Last edited:
Very nice series. I took some pictures of them when I visited family in south Texas.
Thank you Luis. There is amazing avian variety as you get down towards south Tx. :)

Nice set of an interesting bird. I really like the third image. The bird is turned away just enough to reveal its back well but the head is turned back into profile. There's a nice contrast with the BG as well. Well done.
Thanks Dan. In addition to being seemingly curious, this one was quite accommodating. Had I not seem him (her?) fend off some much larger BlueJays, I'd have suspected a Juvi - based on the lack of fear of me. However, I did sit totally still on my stool the whole time and had most of my skin covered with camo (for warmth!).

Nice set and the iso didn't go too high and the BGs look good
Thanks a bunch Randy. Had I not overlooked an available stop of light, the ISO would have been lower & BG smoother. I can only think that I was used to seeing 5.6 in the VF from using the 500PF most as of late. That or cold brain, referenced above. hahahhaa....

Nice collection, Phil! Odd that they look so similar to the Red-Bellied WP.
Appreciate it Mike. They are quite similar. As mentioned, I didn't realize it until I reviewed the imaged on the computer. I still envy the variety you see in your yard! ;-)

Well done, Phil. That is an interesting bird which I haven't seen.

The range map shows it lives from Central America up through Mexico and central Texas, extending into Oklahoma. Apparently, Texas and Oklahoma are the only states in the U.S. where they appear.
Thank you Jim. I am surprised (and encouraged) to hear what you found on the range map. I guess I need to be more attentive.

What a beautiful bird!
I could not agree more Terri, and friendly to boot. :)

Nice set Phil. My first golden fronted was in Palo Duro SP
Thanks! That's interesting. Palo Duro is a bit north of us. We have not been there for birding, but we have have been there. It's almost an oasis in the middle of flat lands. Lol...

Really nice Phil. Always great to come across a new bird. Must have been exciting
Thank you Sir. It was indeed, even not knowing what I was seeing at the time. The behavior was enough to keep me thoroughly intrigued.

Very nice set, enhanced by the snow.
Thanks Phil. It's such a rare occurrence here, that I just had to get out. We had predictions of up to "several inches", but never got enough to even cover the grass. Areas west, south, and east of us got quit a bit. The new reported up to 8" within about 50~60 miles, but not here. :-/

Super set Phil.
Beautiful woodpeckers.
Well done.👍👍👍
As always, Thank you Bob! I appreciate your kind words.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom