New visitors - Purple Finches?

Merlin suggests these are Purple Finches. First I've seen them, and that would make 48 species fluttering through my yard in the last 13-14 months.

MI1_6201-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

MI1_6099-XL.jpg

MI1_5984-XL.jpg

It could well be a purple finch. The males have a deeper color than the house finch. They also have a notched tail instead of the square tail that the house finch has. If I am not mistaken, the only difference between the female purple finch and house finch is the tail.

Nice sharp ones.
Thanks Allan.
It could well be a purple finch. The males have a deeper color than the house finch. They also have a notched tail instead of the square tail that the house finch has. If I am not mistaken, the only difference between the female purple finch and house finch is the tail.
They do look a lot like House Finches, but all the colors are deeper and they're a bit larger than the the female House Finches. Cool seeing new stuff.

Thanks Allan.

They do look a lot like House Finches, but all the colors are deeper and they're a bit larger than the the female House Finches. Cool seeing new stuff.
Yes it is. We will get stray purple finches here. I definitely saw one and posted the sighting on eBird only to be told I was wrong. Too bad I did not get a photo of it. I know what I saw.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom