New vs. Old 10-30? Thoughts?

Now that my V3 has arrived, I am sure I will sell the V1, the question is which 10-30 to keep? The new one is a Power Zoom with a motor, is a little shorter and a little lighter. The older one has filter threads.

I can't find any real info yet on quality differences.

I imagine that I could get more for selling the new one.

Your thoughts please?

Well, I can't compare because I only have the old version... But the old 10-30 is not particularly great optically. According to DXO, it's almost the weakest lens on Nikon 1 - only the 10-100 super zooms are weaker:
http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Ratings/Optical-Metric-Scores

So if the new version is better - do you really need a filter on that lens?

Mike
Probably not, this was more a question of looking for any experience folks may have had. I suspect that if I really want to do landscapes and such, I would buy the 6.7-13mm. The new one is a fair bit smaller, that is for sure.

So if the new version is better - do you really need a filter on that lens?
I would not use a filter, but I would like to use a lens hood. Without filter threads there is no way to mount one. I too am curious about the optical performance of the new 10-30. My "old" version is OK but better would be nice.

Of course the "new" version has not been "tested" yet, so it is hard to tell specifics. I wonder, on the lens hood issue, how needed this is with this new "type" of lens? We are seeing these on a lot of cameras now, seems to me a hood would still be useful though.

Probably not, this was more a question of looking for any experience folks may have had. I suspect that if I really want to do landscapes and such, I would buy the 6.7-13mm. The new one is a fair bit smaller, that is for sure.
The 6.7-13 is a much better lens than the old 10-30, for sure. I just can't get myself to buy one since I also have the Olympus 9-18 for m4/3, and that gives me better IQ overall as a portable landscape system...

When I travel ultra-light, I use my m4/3 setup for wide to midrange, portrait and low light... And my Nikon 1 system for telephoto :)

Of course the "new" version has not been "tested" yet, so it is hard to tell specifics. I wonder, on the lens hood issue, how needed this is with this new "type" of lens? We are seeing these on a lot of cameras now, seems to me a hood would still be useful though.
A hood starts to defeat the purpose of small & light, however... The original 10-30 also didn't include a hood.

Mike

The 6.7-13 is a much better lens than the old 10-30, for sure. I just can't get myself to buy one since I also have the Olympus 9-18 for m4/3, and that gives me better IQ overall as a portable landscape system...

When I travel ultra-light, I use my m4/3 setup for wide to midrange, portrait and low light... And my Nikon 1 system for telephoto :)

A hood starts to defeat the purpose of small & light, however... The original 10-30 also didn't include a hood.

Mike
I'm too cheap to have 2 different systems ;)

The V3 is going to find a niche, maybe 2, for me. One will be the "extreme reach" end of the world, the other will be street kinds of things and "small".

A hoo
I'm too cheap to have 2 different systems ;)

The V3 is going to find a niche, maybe 2, for me. One will be the "extreme reach" end of the world, the other will be street kinds of things and "small".
Too cheap - yeah right ;) Let's see - D800, D7100, V3, 400/2.8... :)

The 2nd system works well for me, because my wife also shoots m4/3...

I just never find myself traveling with only 1 camera anymore - it's either D800 + V1, or G5 + V1, or G5 + D7100. If I upgrade the V1 to V3 it wouldn't change things in the way my setups work - it would be a telephoto addition to D800 or G5. But maybe it would make the D7100 obsolete in my kit??? Hmm...

Mike

A hoo

Too cheap - yeah right ;) Let's see - D800, D7100, V3, 400/2.8... :)

But maybe it would make the D7100 obsolete in my kit??? Hmm...

Mike
My 400 f2.8 AFS-1, $3800, I do call that cheap ..... ;), well, relatively anyway.

I have, to be honest with you, thought about the D7100 myself. I have been holding out for the mythical/magical/mystical D400 for so long, that just maybe the V3 is the answer. I had considered adding that new mythical camera if/when it shows up, or maybe another D7100, but I could see another V3 or V4 instead. Depends a lot on what my wife finds more comfortable. I could see hooking her up with a V3 and the new 70-300. I just need to find the cheap way to do it, don't you know.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom