New Web Page, my new Gallery Front End

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Ok, this is as vanilla as it gets right now. No buttons are functional yet. It took a lot of work just to get to here. (Keep in mind, I am neither full time web developer, nor full time graphics guy. :>)

www.smokymountainsgallery.com

Again, nothing is functional, other than a link to Smugmug site. All text is to be reviewed, probably typos galore, bad grammer, you name it. Hey, it's a concept introduction, not a introduction for Google. :)

Whachu think? Be nice please, I put a lot of work into this.

Doug

2. krispee

krispee

Apr 10, 2007
    UK
    looks ok, downloads pretty fast, which is the most important thing apart from looking good in the first place, nothing puts a surfer off more than a long download....you have some nice cuts of your photos which highlights some of your work....perhaps the bottom right one could be changed to reflect the heading of 'portraits and sports' but apart from that seems ok.....nice work

kris

3. Doug,

The font is to small; also the blue and red links on the black background are hard on the eyes. Other the that I liked it.

Mike

4. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    thanks guys for the input!

I've discovered some other issues that I may just not be able to handle without an HTML bailout of some kind. Firefox seems to be handicapped by this version 6 development and would not open the plugin for version 8 player or new version 9 player. Good ole Firefox, never disappoints me. (Being facicious) I never see how people can be happy with Firefox. It lets me down at every turn just about.

Regarding my shockwave plugin, (It's sort of like a java aplet) I just plug in the words I want, and get the flash 6 applet to run. (was an older development) Unfortunately, I do not have the source. :-( If I did, I could update it with Studio 8 and save as newer version maybe. I suppose if I wanted to buy the original page from this outfit if available... IF.

Yes, I agree on the background link colors, noticed that yesterday. I just happened to have not set the original page up nor the style sheet. I'll look at the fonts too...

thanks for your input guys.

Doug

5. Very nice start Doug! I am impressed. I always wanted to tackle this but seem to shy away from it. Be sure to let us know when an updated version is again viewable

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Thanks Dave. Remember, I am assisted by the fact I have prior commercial web page development experience and have been a programmer/analyst for 18 years, even if "light" for web dev standards. I'm no pro, I just keep tinkering til I get it working ok. I did start with a template here to get the flash part. I bought into a template service last year and downloaded quite a few I thought might be of future value, this was one of them. It's proved more useful than many I got from them. (a good thing) To bad I still don't have Flash source, sigh...

Currently an updated version as of 11:30, still main page only. I'll begin to tackle buttons this week I hope, if not later today... maybe gonna come out of my cacoon for lunch, then come back to it later today. lol.

I't gettin better though, thanks to suggestions.

I increased type font to 11. Let me know if this is still to small please.

To my eyes, it's fine, but I have very good peepers. lol. (no glasses either)

Anyway, I also modified the link colors, shifted text around for better page balance, and changed last photo from non smokies flower shot to active water sports image.

My best prior development process was for my cable biz.
    www.catcables.com That one uses a milonic menu system for side bar menu. It's my crown web dev achievement, lol.

7. Doug much better font size!

Mike

8. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Thanks Mike, all buttons are functional now. that's not saying I've done all I hope to do with the gallery, but for now, I think it's a good start.

Double click selections until I can figure if I can change to single click...

Doug

9. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

:biggrin: I particularly like the sound effects. I hope you actually have them as I was hearing something.
    bsvirginian

10. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Bob, you must be hearing things. ;)

Doug

11. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN