New website....comments?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Background: For Justin's birthday I bought him his own domain. Then for Christmas I set up a brand new website for him on Smugmug. (He does only videos....but didn't want to use YouTube or Vimeo). (His old website was on Zenfolio....but over the last year of so, videos kept disappearing off his website and Zenfolio showed no interest in finding out why.) Setting up the SM website was super easy. Justin even said that uploading videos was much, much faster and his videos played better on Smugmug.

Let me know what you think of think of the new website! And watch some videos, too!

Old website

NEW website

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Just at first glance the new one is much better.
Much nicer Karen, easier to read, I really like the background pattern and color. Everything just seems more crisp and inviting to the visitor.
New one is much more inviting.
The new one really draws one in.
Thanks so much!!!!! I've been wanting to re-design his website for years! LOL!

Hopefully you will watch a video or so and let me know how you like them!

Real Name
Walter Rowe
The new website is definitely better. The transparent nav bar at the top is difficult to read as you scroll down the page.

When at top of page, easy to read the nav bar.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

When you scroll down, the nav bar can disappear in the video thumbnails.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
The new website is definitely better. The transparent nav bar at the top is difficult to read as you scroll down the page.

When at top of page, easy to read the nav bar.
View attachment 1675457

When you scroll down, the nav bar can disappear in the video thumbnails.
View attachment 1675458
Thanks, Walter. I'll check. I'm sure I can turn scrolling off. Maybe I can turn transparency off.
Well done, Karen. The web site looks a lot like yours, unsurprisingly. :)

We enjoyed a couple of his videos this evening.
LOL! Actually after setting up Justin's website, I decided to re-fresh MY website over the last couple of days. I started my website in 2011 and it needed a fresh look! I couldn't have Justin's website looking so much better than mine! :p

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
This is a matter of personal preference, but I like to see dates in gallery titles. Not necessarily specific dates, but a month and year date would be helpful.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not focused on dates so I never thought of that. Many of the galleries encompass images created on numerous trips to the same location. However, in other galleries it would pretty easy to add a date to the gallery title. Videos don't carry "metadata" like our images do. On my website full of images, you can click on an image, then on the upper left you can select Information/photo details and it will tell you capture date, exposure settings, camera and lens used, etc.

On my website full of images, you can click on an image, then on the upper left you can select Information/photo details and it will tell you capture date, exposure settings, camera and lens used, etc.
Yep, that's true of any SmugMug account. But I like to have dates on all my galleries because I often need that to jog my memory...like "when was it we went to Moscow?". I just look here.

By the way, I just clicked on the webpage link in your signature and get "Page not Found".

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Yep, that's true of any SmugMug account. But I like to have dates on all my galleries because I often need that to jog my memory...like "when was it we went to Moscow?". I just look here.

By the way, I just clicked on the webpage link in your signature and get "Page not Found".
UGH!!!!! I'll see what has happened! Thanks for the heads up!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom