1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New Website

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by 06FZ6, Oct 6, 2008.

1. 06FZ6

06FZ6

Dec 28, 2007
    Savannah, TX
    About a month ago I started a blogger account. After becoming addicted to blogging (i know, i'm a nerd) I wanted to add a gallery, etc. Well, you can't really do that with blogger, so I tried wordpress and a couple others and wasn't impressed. About a week ago, I started on my new site which was inspired by everything that I liked about blogger, but with a bunch more features. Please stop by and check it out...

http://www.shanemcdowell.com

Tell me what you think. I will give the source to NikonCafe members for free when it is totally finished.

2. I like it, nice work.

3. Looking good!!!

I use WordPress and the JilliJ template...

Check mine out!!!

I may send you an mspace "Add Request" if you don't mind?

I like keeping up!!!

4. Impressive, great website. :eek: :biggrin:

5. 06FZ6

06FZ6

Dec 28, 2007
    Savannah, TX
    Don't mind at all, that's why I put it on my site.

Thanks for the kind words so far everyone. I would love to see a bunch of photographers using this site when its completely finished.

Right now, you can know ZERO html or php and completely control the website. I just need to clean up the admin section, and add some ability to customize it.

6. I think it looks amazing. Great work.

7. 06FZ6

06FZ6

Dec 28, 2007
    Savannah, TX
    Wouldn't you know, shortly after posting here, my webhost crashes! lol If its not working, please try again later!

8. 06FZ6

06FZ6

Dec 28, 2007
    Savannah, TX
    ok... it's working again. Have at it!

9. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
  10. Works here for me on my mac with Safari. Looks good!

11. Works here on both the Mac and the PC...

Good looking site, is it a home brew or a template of some kind...?

BTW, it did run a little slow yesterday, but our building speed is
    always erratic and slow.....

12. 06FZ6

06FZ6

Dec 28, 2007
    Savannah, TX
    Thank you. It is from scratch (home brew) based on a template I like from Blogger.

It seems that my web host was having issues yesterday which may have been the reason it was running slow. I am also in the process of streamlining the code to make it run a little faster.

13. I really like it! You did an excellent job.

I'm curious about some of your specific implementations (I'm also trying to code my own website):

How did you design your database, and how are the photos stored in the file structure? I think that's my biggest sticking point right now. I have a few ideas of how I could design mine, but I'm not sure which is best for me. Are you using MySQL?

And how did you get the photos to pop up? Flash, or CSS, or something else? I don't think I want to do mine like that, but I do really like how yours works.

again, great job!

Kristin

14. 06FZ6

06FZ6

Dec 28, 2007
    Savannah, TX
    Hello Kristin,

I have been building galleries for a long time now and have pretty much settled on how I do them. The gallery works like this...

1. Photos are uploaded to a folder.
    2. A page is accessed where you enter the information about the photos, such as category, album name, and description.
    3. When the info is submitted, the site creates a thumbnail, a larger image, and deletes the original file (all of this is automatic as I plan on offering this site as a turn-key site for photographers).
    4. All of the information (file name, description, album name, category) is stored in a MySQL database to be pulled from for the galleries. The resized images are stored in a folder for access.
    One of the galleries I built before worked pretty much the same, except the images were actually stored in the MySQL database as LONGBLOB. I loved how it worked, it just ran a little too slow.

The images pop up via a script called Lightbox 2. There is no flash on the entire site (I am not a huge fan of flash).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.