New Wimberley Head

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JerseyJay, Sep 20, 2005.

1. After DriverX's comments on new Wimberley Head, I decided to call them. Not much information was given to me but release day is November 14th. Customer Service said "Lighter and Smaller".

Now .... should we wait for all those "cheap" old versions, since people will be upgrading, or settle for "new and improved" :rolleyes:

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    The Wimberley folks told me about this about 4 or 5 months ago. I decided to go ahead and try out the original 'big' Wimberley, and after the 90-day trial, I decided to go ahead and get it. I would have liked to have something 'smaller and lighter', but to be honest, it's not that big a deal, and I really like the big head. It is rock solid, and smooth as silk. :smile:

3. Seeing what the Wimberley has done for Frank and his bird photography I don't think you could make a wrong decision here. You could save a few $$ or save a few pounds. Good luck with whichever way you go.

4. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Bogen 3421 Gimbal head

$160 and rock solid.
    If anyone has a Wimberley near NYC and wants to compare head to head, I doubt they could find fault with the bogen.

It was effortless to use with my 400/2.8 + 1.4TC on a monopod.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Let me throw in some additional data here. Fellow Cafe member Greg Giesing has the Bogen head, and we go shooting together a lot. He has his set up where he can mount two linked (electronically and mechanically) D2H's, one with the 300 2.8 and the other with the 70-200VR. So far he seems to like it a lot, and it is about 1/3rd the cost of the big Wimberley. If I had it to do over again, I'd very strong consider it.

That said, I'm still very happy with my Wimberley.

6. I use my Wimberley for my 600mm and 200-400mm and I am very pleased how the setup works.

One of my smarter purchases.

Russ

7. I have the full Wimberley and wouldn't dream to go out with a large lens without it. That said www.kirkphoto.com also has one they call the Cobra i think, worth looking into as well.

And don't forget the Wimberley Sidekick - it is a very nifty and light device that you attach to your ballhead mount, will easily take up to a 500mm others have told me, Ron Reznick for example thinks the full Wiberley is to heavy for hiking and uses the Sidekick with his 500mm.

8. Twig,

When mounted on a tripod, can it rotate smoothly on the horizontal axis?

Thanks!

9. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Yes, quite smoothly,
    It mounts via 1/4 or 3/8 screw directlt to the tripod or monopod in my case, it has an adjustable tension (though I find the factory setting perfect) and it rotates smoothly.

10. Thanks Twig!

11. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    sure, no problem, if you have questions or want pics of it, just pm me