New Windows 10 laptop - cannot open NEF's in Capture NX2

In all the excitement of getting a new machine, yesterday, I did not expect to have any issues installing CNX2 from my new Asus external CD-ROM. I installed the NET Framework 3.5, as my machine said it was needed. Followed the instructions to the letter, and updated the package as per prompt. I have the RAW file codec installed. Took some new NEF's with my Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye. I was looking forward to opening these files, cool images, but I get the WARNING logo telling me I can't open the files. I have uninstalled an reinstalled CNX2 twice, already. What troubleshooting do I need to do?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
People have always had problems with Capture NX2. I have version 2.4.5 running on the latest Win 10 so it is possible.
It is very old and obsolete and unsupported. Probably easier to keep an old machine to run the old software, and move forwards with your new computer.

Ok, I just got lucky - I did NOT update my old version 2.0.0 with the “update” option in NX2, it didn’t change. I went to Nikon USA’s download center and the trial was still available for 2.4.0. I stumbled across a thread somewhere that said if you had the original version in your machine from the purchased CD-ROM, you can download the trial and enter your product key - and voila! The files open - I just need to figure out how to create a desktop shortcut. I am still learning about W10, it’s fun!

Thanks Mike. I hope Windows 10 sticks around for awhile - I don’t see NX2 being compatible with the next OS as Nikon have long abandoned it - of course, most of the Nikon bodies that still can use NX2 will be long gone.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Windows 10 will be around a very long time, slowly evolving. Microsoft are excellent at backward compatibility, I don't imagine they will ever drop support for all the 32 bit programs, there is no real reason to. We can run most software that dates back to 1995 with little difficulty. (And in a virtual machine I can run Windows XP 32 bit which supports the old 16 bit DOS programs.)
(In contrast Apple are scrapping 32 bit support with the new Catalina version of macOS, which is very tidy thinking but annoying for many people.)

People have always had problems with Capture NX2. I have version 2.4.5 running on the latest Win 10 so it is possible.
It is very old and obsolete and unsupported. Probably easier to keep an old machine to run the old software, and move forwards with your new computer.
I never ever had problem with Nikon capture NX2 it runs perfectly ( and very fast) on window 10)

I have CNX2 v2.4.7 running perfectly on Windows 10 Pro (x64 - 1903 update)...
Opens NEFs from my D80, D300 & D700, but unfortunately isn't compatible with my D810, but that's OK, I just do a little work on them in NX-D and then export them as a Tiff to CNX2.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I never ever had problem with Nikon capture NX2 it runs perfectly ( and very fast) on window 10)
Ok, SOME people always had problems with installing CNX2. If you look back into ancient history on this site you will see many cases where people couldn't get it to run. Various magic remedies would be tried then one day it would work.

Ok, SOME people always had problems with installing CNX2.
I remember two guys, I think it was Bill (Retief) and his friend, who had something like 60 years of pro IT experience between them and had the exact same computer system. They got CNX2 to install flawlessly the first time on one of them and never got it to install on the other one.

And some people who never had problems installing it had problems using it because of the most unusual quirks. I was one of them.

If you look back into ancient history on this site
Speaking of ancient history, this thread from nearly nine years ago about guessing the release date of CNX3 should get Dayo riled up again: https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/guess-the-date-nx3-is-released-we-have-a-winner.205108/ Heck, at only 14 pages it's an easy read. By the way, I still have your prize -- a 2GB SD memory card -- that you declined to collect.

Last edited:
My SD cards are 64 and 128GB now.
I use your 2GB card for storing slide shows displayed on my television. I use an 8GB card in my camera for my tabletop photography, as that's plenty large enough for the rare times a session requires perhaps 20 shots (usually only three or four). When doing photography out and about, my largest cards are 16GB. They work fine and if I lose a card, such as while traveling, I'll lose only some of my photos. Fortunately, I've never lost a card. Then there is the 128MB card (MB, not GB) I keep in my camera's first card slot that stores the file containing my camera's settings.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
If you photograph gannets diving at 18fps you soon chew up the gigabytes.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom