New... Yongnuo RF-603 triggers. Anyone?

I'm shopping for some cheap-ish triggers, and the Yongnuo RF-602 keeps coming up in various forums. They seem to have the advantage over the other cheap-ish triggers that they also double as RF shutter-release remotes.
So now I see a NEW RF-603 model, still not shipping from any USA sellers. It has a VERY cool feature; the transmitter and receiver are identical and interchangeable. Some new transciever technology that makes the unit able to do both functions, and know automatically which it should be doing. In other words, I could get 4 of these, put one on my camera, one on my flash meter, one on my speedlight, and one as a remote shutter-release; they'd all just work.
$40-ish for a pair, shipped. AND, they take good 'ol AAA batteries.
Just wondering if anyone's tried these yet?

Real Name
Mike
I have two sets of the Yongnuo RF-602 (two Tx, eight Rx), but would buy the RF-603 if I was starting over again. Three sets would meet my requirements for less money than I spent on the RF-602 sets. I like the interchangeability and common batteries for all units.

The ebay seller I used for the RF-602 is quick, considering the route my mail takes, and I would not hesitate to order from them again. My delivery time was ten days from Hong Kong and had to go through the APO system after the packages reached the US.

Any idea whether these will trigger the RF602 units? I've been wanting to add another transmitter and receiver to my system.

Real Name
Mike
Hi Mike,
Is this link to the seller you bought from? And you'd recommend them?
Thanks,
Yes and yes. I bought from this seller at least five times without any issues. The delivery time was nearly the same each time, regardless if the package was a set of triggers or a cable.

Any idea whether these will trigger the RF602 units? I've been wanting to add another transmitter and receiver to my system.
From what I've read, the two systems are not compatible. If one of my transmitters fails and I can't find a replacement, then I'll change over to the RF-603 system.

From what I've read, the two systems are not compatible. If one of my transmitters fails and I can't find a replacement, then I'll change over to the RF-603 system.

Too bad. Maybe the prices of the RF602 system will drop. :biggrin:

I went to the "hkyongnuophotoequipment" eBay store, and they have quite a few trick little goodies, in addition to the triggers.
Anyone tried the Youngnuo flashes? I'm looking for a couple cheap manual flashes, and these look like they have everything a strobist-type guy would need...

So I am newb to remote flash triggering. I've been using my d90/sb600 with the Nikon CLS, but there are times where it doesn't go off, maybe bright lights, outdoors, I just don't trust it 100% of the time. I am looking for my first radio trigger. I am not a pro this is just an expensive hobby. Would this set be a good starter trigger?

I am going to say that those units for $44 are a bargain. If I was in the market for radio units such like these, I would jump on it right away.
Although I have not used them professionally, my units have never failed me. My experience dealing with dealers in Hong Kong has been a pleasant one, very similar to what Mike has suggested.
Perhaps, if you work as a professional, you could need more "reliable" units but these Yongnuo do an excellent job at a very reasonable price.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

So I am newb to remote flash triggering. I've been using my d90/sb600 with the Nikon CLS, but there are times where it doesn't go off, maybe bright lights, outdoors, I just don't trust it 100% of the time. I am looking for my first radio trigger. I am not a pro this is just an expensive hobby. Would this set be a good starter trigger?

Yes it would - I did some tests with the rf602's and they work at 100m in bright sunlight .

Mike66,

Thanks for the tip.
I think I'll be getting a set of these.

Here's another tip:
Always buy from sellers with a 100 rating on ebay and you'll never go wrong. They (and myself) try very hard to keep that perfect score.
Also look for a high number of reviews.

Steve

One other ?
The 603 for the D90 says it comes with the remote switch for D90.
What is this, what does it do and where does it go?
Also can these fire just the flash w/o tripping the shutter remotely?
say if you were standing at the subject and wanted to take a meter reading could you just pop the flash and not the shutter?

Thanks,

Steve

Real Name
Mike
Steve, here is a pair of RF-603 kit for the D90. It will come with a pair of transceivers and the cable you need to connect to the D90 for remote triggering. For your two SB-900 and one SB-600 speedlights, you will need a total of four transceivers (one on the D90 and three on the speedlights) for wireless flash. If you want to also remotely release the shutter as well with all of the speedlights in use, you will need another pair. If not, then the four transceivers will work well.

When I want to meter the flash output, I take the transmitter off of the camera and hold it in one hand while I hold the L-358 flash meter with the other. Enable the L-358 for remote operation, press the button on the transmitter, and read the results from the meter. Because of the simple setup, I turn off the receivers for each speedlight that I am not metering. Once I have the individual outputs set, I turn all of the receivers on and check the cumulative output with the meter.

Mike,

Thanks for the detailed reply.
One of the ads on eBay for the 603 said that it was not compatible with the SB600. Any word on this?

Are you happy with your L-358 meter? if so I may start looking for a good deal on one. I've never used one but have always wanted one. I may now actually have a reason to.

BTW I think this is an amazing deal especially since it appears these are at least as good as the other more popular & expensive brands if not better.

$1200 for PWs to work w/3 speed lights is absolutely crazy. I guess they know that their primary customers are pro shooters who will pass the charge along.

Nikon are you listening? there is a market for remotes that actually do what they're supposed to do.

Steve

I asked one of the selllers on eBay why the SB600 did not work with the 603 and here is the reply:

Dear Valuable customer,

Thank you for your inquiry.

As confirmed with Yongnuo manufacturer again, SB-600 is not working with RF603 as the flash building is not compatible with it.

The suitable flashes are as described in the listing. The items are available to be shipped immediately!

Hope I have cleared your doubts. Should you need any further information, please feel free to contact us anytime.

Best regards,
Grace Zheng
ThePhotoGadget

- thephotogadget

Real Name
Mike
I've never used the RF-603 and I don't have any more SB-600 speedlights, so I can't confirm whether they are compatible. I can't imagine why the RF-603 would have a problem with the SB-600, but if it is similar to the RF-602, the only problem I had is with bringing the SB-600 out of standby.

Latest threads

Top Bottom