New York Trip.

i have been to NY many a time now, especially with my sister and niece living there i go once a year. this time however will be the first time i am going without any other family and so will have a lot more time to wonder and take photos.

first off i need to figure out what i am going to bring with me.

i know i will definately be bringing the D3, 17-35 f2.8 and 85 f1.4.

I have decided not to bring the 24-70 because it is not a lens i use much to walk around with.

I am going to buy the 35 f2 while in NY so that will handle a lot of the general walkaround duties.

The thing i am not sure of is the 70-200 f2.8. it is a big lens and heavy though i know the picture quality is great. i can afford to buy the 70-300 VR which is a little smaller and lighter with a little extra reach, though slower (is this an issue with the high ISO performance of the D3?)

i would just like to get some thoughts on this.

also, i have been looking around the forums and pics in NY and just wanted to know about taking photos on the subway and train stations and rules for this. and some other off-the-beaten track locations in NY to take pictures would be cool as well.

thanks all in advance for replies.

a few points for you
TRAVEL LIGHTER
too many lenses will break your back

why would you take the 85/1.4?
amazing lens
leave it home
not needed for any NYC trip, IMHO

Shing

the 35/2 is a great city lens
I find my most used lenses in the city are 18-70 and the 35/2

in your kit
I would take 18-50, 70-300 and then grab the 35/2 as you say

I lived in NYC most of my life till I got stupid and moved to Florida. You have the 24-70mm f/2.8 take it a very versatile lens, leave the rest home. :wink:

I lived in NYC most of my life till I got stupid and moved to Florida. You have the 24-70mm f/2.8 take it a very versatile lens, leave the rest home. :wink:

I agree. If you have a great lens like this, why leave it home?

I would leave the 85/1.4 home to save weight, don't see you missing it, especially if you bring the 24-80.

BTW, someone mentioned DezM, I think most of his shots are with his 17-55 though he does also shoot with a 18-200 and a 12-24.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for shooting in the subway, legally you can, but sometimes you will get harassed by some people that don't know the law.
Best bet is to read this forum. Arm yourself with a copy of photographers rights, also print out MTA's rules Section 1050.9
on photography and carry it with you at all times when photographing in the subways.
The excuse given by the authorities of stopping people from taking pics is 9/11 and so on.... It's all BS!!

But hey, welcome to NYC and have a great time!!!

Shing,

I live in NYC and when I'm photographing in Manhattan I either use my 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 VR lens or my 17-55mm f/2.8. Both of these in my opinion are great walk around lens. At one time I did have the 70-300mm, but I sold that and purchase the "70-200mm" lens. Here's my link to images taken with the 18-200mm on the D300: http://www.pbase.com/zee71/brooklyn_bridge

Also, another plug for DEZ..........check out his postings and his website. He's got excellent captures of NYC.

New York Trip

August 25, 2008

You should be aware that there are certain things that the authorities frown on photographers photographing in NYC due to the 9/11 tragedy.

1. Do NOT photograph a bridge while you are on the bridge. The police have arrested photographers for doing this. Be aware that some police agencies have also attempted to arrest photographers for photographing bridges from public property. (This is just another example of how photographers are being made into "scape-goats" and are being "blamed" and falsely accused of being agents to terrorists by over-reactive police agencies.) The police seem to forget that the bad guys DO have access to the internet and already have stored on their "extremist" sites images of all the key buildings and landmarks in NYC.)

2. Be aware that some buildings that the police, FBI, and other government agencies use can also cause problems. See the article, the War on Photographers, Popular Photography, July 2006 for more information. I would recommend that you get this article and an articles by an attorney named Krages? on Photographers Rights and keep them both in your camera bag.

3. Check out the planetarium at the Natural History Museum in NYC, it is a treat to see and photograph. If you have never been to a planetarium, go, you will have a great time.

I hope that my comments and suggestions have made your trip to NYC much more fun.

Steve Zalewski
Syracuse, NY

Steve
while points 2 and 3 are true, #1 is not quite correct

I have photographed, along with thousands of others, the Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Bridge and others
from on top, underneath, whatever

if you act suspicious, maybe someone will question you, otherwise shoot away

thanks for all the comments. i think i will take the 24-70 and buy the 35 when i get there (any reason to go to B+H)

Steve, thanks for the heads up on the planetarium, will definately check that out.

VP, thanks for the info on the subway shooting. will defo read up on the rules, i get all kinds of problems here in london on the subways.

it seems (and rightly so) that Dez is the one to enquire about NY sites, but anymore off-the-beaten-track spots keep them coming. i am writing them all down in my journal, looks like i best get my walking shoes on.

Shing, if you are after shots of Manhattan from above, go to Top Of The Rock at Rockefeller Plaza. The lines are way shorter than those at the Empire State and for my money, its the better view anyway.

There is also a thing called CITY PASS (do a google search) which can save you some money on Museum admissions, etc.

Have fun!

Hi Shing,
I was in NY last month, my first time to visit US. I carried 3 lenses 12-24, 35-70 and 70-200. I never used 70-200. here are few pictures.
Henry
_HDS4286.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_HDS4362.jpg

_HDS5021.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom