New York Waterfalls (Public Art)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Mr. Graceful, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Currently, New York City has a public art exhibition underway: Waterfalls by Danish artist Olafur Eliasson. There are four waterfalls set up along the lower East River: one in Manhattan just above the Manhattan Bridge; One under the Brooklyn Bridge (Brooklyn side), one along the Brooklyn Prominade; and one on Governor's Island. The exhibit runs through October, so I'm sure many more, better pictures are to follow on these boards. The exhibit carries a cost of $15.5 million, most of which was raised through private funds.

2619396661_8b55afe94b_b.

2619713804_e447047e87_b.

2618885637_2f84475565_b.

Thanks for looking . . .

2. that is very cool, rich
    it was nice of you to share these with us

well done

3. Jarema

Jarema

Jul 21, 2007
    ct
    Thanks for posting this is on my list for things to shoot before October

4. The first and 2nd are nice Rich. Just wish the City had come up with a better idea of NOT showing the scaffolding!

5. Hmmm

I was expecting a much better waterfall than that. The pictures are great, but I am not impressed at all with the waterfall.

Dez is right, the scaffolding ruins the entire thing. Seems the designer would have done a scale model and realized that immediately.

6. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Are the waterfalls luminated during the evening hours? Or have changing colored lights? I agree with Dez............they should have covered the scaffolding or put a background that resembles rocks or something.

7. anthonyc

anthonyc

May 30, 2008
    NYC
    some of the best ive seen so far of them.

8. LOL! I know right?!? :biggrin:

Nice shots... btw...

9. Yes, well . . . What do you expect from a public art? Remember The Gates? Those things were FUGLY! But the Central Park hot dog vendors loved them! And we all had to endure endless photos of the scarred Central Park landscape for an eternity!

I agree. Hiding the scaffold would not have been difficult, nor expensive, especially considering the stupidity of the cost as it is. I mean, really! $15.5 million? At least there was no tax money going to them! More volume could also help, but that would probably raise the cost significantly.

I don't know if they're lit at night. I have not been down there yet after dark. It would seem a shame if they were not.

Thanks to all who commented on the photos!

10. I expected more than this...It may look nice at nite:confused: 
    sal

11. I just realized... you are sailing here! What boat were you on, Rich?

12. A friend and I own a small sailboat we keep moored at Pier 40 on the Hudson River (at Houston street). It's a 25' Catalina.

247118646_80438a1749.

Anyone want a tour of NY Harbor?

13. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Very nice images of this exhibit. However, I think we need Christo to return and cover up that framework with some nice fabrics ! :) 

14. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Beautiful shots.

15. I might have to take a tour with you! :) 

16. I sure would Rich. Would be fun.......and the boat looks great!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.