New York Waterfalls (Public Art)

Currently, New York City has a public art exhibition underway: Waterfalls by Danish artist Olafur Eliasson. There are four waterfalls set up along the lower East River: one in Manhattan just above the Manhattan Bridge; One under the Brooklyn Bridge (Brooklyn side), one along the Brooklyn Prominade; and one on Governor's Island. The exhibit runs through October, so I'm sure many more, better pictures are to follow on these boards. The exhibit carries a cost of $15.5 million, most of which was raised through private funds.

2619396661_8b55afe94b_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2619713804_e447047e87_b.jpg

2618885637_2f84475565_b.jpg

Thanks for looking . . .

Hmmm

I was expecting a much better waterfall than that. The pictures are great, but I am not impressed at all with the waterfall.

Dez is right, the scaffolding ruins the entire thing. Seems the designer would have done a scale model and realized that immediately.

Are the waterfalls luminated during the evening hours? Or have changing colored lights? I agree with Dez............they should have covered the scaffolding or put a background that resembles rocks or something.

The first and 2nd are nice Rich. Just wish the City had come up with a better idea of NOT showing the scaffolding!

I was expecting a much better waterfall than that. The pictures are great, but I am not impressed at all with the waterfall.

Dez is right, the scaffolding ruins the entire thing. Seems the designer would have done a scale model and realized that immediately.

Yes, well . . . What do you expect from a public art? Remember The Gates? Those things were FUGLY! But the Central Park hot dog vendors loved them! And we all had to endure endless photos of the scarred Central Park landscape for an eternity!

I agree. Hiding the scaffold would not have been difficult, nor expensive, especially considering the stupidity of the cost as it is. I mean, really! $15.5 million? At least there was no tax money going to them! More volume could also help, but that would probably raise the cost significantly.

I don't know if they're lit at night. I have not been down there yet after dark. It would seem a shame if they were not.

Thanks to all who commented on the photos!

I just realized... you are sailing here! What boat were you on, Rich?

A friend and I own a small sailboat we keep moored at Pier 40 on the Hudson River (at Houston street). It's a 25' Catalina.

247118646_80438a1749.jpg

Anyone want a tour of NY Harbor?

Very nice images of this exhibit. However, I think we need Christo to return and cover up that framework with some nice fabrics ! :)

I might have to take a tour with you! :)

A friend and I own a small sailboat we keep moored at Pier 40 on the Hudson River (at Houston street). It's a 25' Catalina.

247118646_80438a1749.jpg

247118646_80438a1749.jpg

I sure would Rich. Would be fun.......and the boat looks great!

Latest threads

Top Bottom