New Z glass to be announced next week

Too heavy for me. If I cannot carry one mounted on my Z all day while being a walking tourist and not require a chiropractor at the end of the day, I shouldn't buy one!

Seriously, like Terri (above), my Z 50/f1.8 and Z 14-30/f4 will be more than fine for my purposes. All of the existing Z "S" glass is heads and shoulders better than my former F equivalents.

These don't interest me either, but then I'm pretty sure I'm not the target market. I am interested in seeing the specs which I suspect will be off-the-charts exceptional. Nikon is slowly (slowly!) building an ecosystem of best-in-class glass.

Yes they are moderately highly priced (though not in Leica or Zeiss stratospheric levels) but if you want differentiate yourself from the pack, I can think of worse things than wide open edge to edge clarity and exceptional center performance. Given the fact that sensor performance in terms of dynamic range and high ISO has been pretty stagnant for several years (and it is notable that the Z5 performance is a dead-ringer for the D750 by Bill Claff's data), lenses are the one significant area where you can differentiate yourself as a system and a company. In a shrinking market, racing to the bottom is probably the quickest path to bankruptcy - but the remaining market (the crazy ones like us) will look to buy the best they can get. My son would call best-in-class glass a marketing moat.

Real Name
Andrew
Yep...I'd even be OK if Nikon had made them smaller, lighter and f/2! I'm enjoying the quality that the 35 and 50 f/1.8 lenses have to offer. I am not the target audience for the faster lenses.

I don't even think the term, fast lenses, should be used these days to describe lenses with apertures larger than f/2.8 and maybe not even f/4. That's because the advantage really isn't about how much light lands upon the sensor; it's about how small the depth of field can be at a particular focal length.

Long gone are the days when more light is needed because, otherwise, compensating by using a higher ISO value will add noise and/or limit dynamic range. That's just not much of a practical issue for the sensors being made these days. That's especially true for those willing to spend the big bucks for the lenses with large apertures considering that most people who have a need for them also spend the big bucks on the camera bodies with the best sensors.

I’m not the target for these either, but it seems like these are good offerings for the system and allows Nikon to flex their muscles a bit. Plus it will quiet some of the critics who have been saying “where is the fast glass,” even though the 1.8 S line primes are superb and are more than fast enough for real world applications.

... and I JUST bought the 50mm f/1.8 yesterday!
But, as others have said, it will certainly be too expensive and likely too large for my tastes and I'm not the target market. It will appease the crowd that is saying "why haven't they released a REAL fast prime?"

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Possibly the 200-600 or a nice long PF lens.
The "hole" varies a bit with the genera one spends the most time in. ;-)
Agreed! But I was thinking that my D5 and 600mm/80-400/and 300 and 500 PF lenses will serve me well into the future and that a mirrorless would be for just about everything else. I'd like a mirrorless 500 or 600mm/f4 before an ultra zoom.

Real Name
Andy
...the advantage really isn't about how much light lands upon the sensor; it's about how small the depth of field can be at a particular focal length.
As always, @Mike Buckley hits the nail on the head. My style generally doesn't often gravitate to shallow DOF, but there is something strangely compelling about a 50mm f/1.2. Surely there is a reason that Nikon continued to manufacture the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-S long beyond the days when my vision was good enough to manually focus such an optic on an FM2. And if I'm not mistaken, they're still making it now.

I gather from the various posts above that no one is planning to be the first in line to overpay for a brand new f/1.2 native Z-mount lens, but there is an alternative:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/f...enses-to-nikon-z-cameras.324089/#post-4112402

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom