New Z50 Kit 70-200 VR lens sounds like something is loose inside

I just got a brand new Z50 kit with two lenses. The telephoto lens has something slightly rattling inside. Is it normal?
I wonder if it's the VR mechanism. I never had a VR lense before and never experienced this "something is definitely loose" feel when handling any lense.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused. The only 70-200 Nikon VR lenses I know are the f/2.8 and f/4, both are F-series. The just released Z 70-200 lens is not VR, since it is made for the IBIS bodies.
Do you mean the NIKKOR Z DX 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 VR Lens?

Check this out: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/02/things-you-should-know-about-your-lenses-but-may-not/5

" Active Stabilizers (IS, VC, whatever) Rattle
The IS group is always near the base (camera end) of the lens, just in front of the rear elements. If you shake the lens, you can hear the IS elements rattle if they aren’t locked down. Why don’t they lock down? Usually because you removed the lens without turning off the camera. Put the lens back on the camera, take a shot, turn the camera off, and remove the lens. For most brands, this makes the rattle stop because the IS system was locked down when the camera turned off (its not true for every IS system, just most).

And while I don’t know for sure, I can see no benefit to shaking your IS system around and making it rattle. As my mom used to say whenever we discussed any plan I had: “No good could come of that. No good whatsoever”. So turn your camera off before removing your IS, VR, VC, Mega OIS, whatever they call it lenses."

My NIKKOR Z DX 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 VR rattles (slightly), regardless if the camera was correctly switched off or not!

Though I fully agree with above mentioned advice from lensrentals!

It’s also mentioned in the Nikon manual.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Older, heavily used lenses (esp; 70-200 2.8 VRII) will rattle more as the plastic center locking wheel wears out over time. Even when it wears out more there is nothing wrong with it as once the lens is stabilised by pressing Shutter button half way the element re-centers itself magnetically.

The original 70-200 VR1 for example (just as 105mm Micro and old 80-400D) have a metal pin which center locks the element and prevents it from moving. On 105/80-400D you need to do it manually with the VR switch which uses a clutch mechanism to push the pin in the lock position. Once in lock position you can't hear any rattling anymore.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom