New Z6 and Z7 announced with in body stablization.

I could possibly be enticed with the offering of a S 24-120 f4 to pair with a Z6, but that lens is nowhere to be found on the roadmap.

To have been a fly on the wall of the Supreme Command Decision Room would have made me a bazillionaire with my “Nikon Z, The Real Story”.

I would definitely need to see one in person and feel the weight.
I would love to be able to hold one also, problem is with Nikon it will probably take over another year before it is available in store :( I have really been checking out weights and sizes too. Would like to see the Sony in a store, hopefully some will have actually in stock soon. We own the EM1, dimensions extremely close to Z7, (you could check that in store for a size reference), it is a fantastic feeling camera actually, but yes, once you put on the more pro lenses that weight changes quite a lot. It still seems to balance well with the longer lenses though. It is also quite a bit lighter a body than the Z7, so Z7 may feel a bit brick like.
OMD E-M1vii 134.1 x 90.9 x 68.9 mm (excludes protrusions) 498g body only
Sony A7Riii 127 x 96 x 74 mm 573g body only
Nikon Z7 134 x 100.5 x 67.5 mm, 585g body only.

I really haven't been doing much photography since I sold my D700 for D800.. but am keen to get a lighter, smaller mirrorless that works well for me in full frame, and get me back in the game. I have an 18 month old Granddaughter and another little boy on the way :) so really was fancying the eye detect, they move so fast.

I currently own a Df, and a OM-D E-M5, my husband has the OM-D E-M1 ii between us we have a ridiculous amount of lenses. Time to sell some off and get our system streamlined.

Are you aware that the Z6 comes with an OLPF? Does that make a difference to you? Seems like a step backward to me.
Not really. My reason for going mirrorless is for the more precise focus due to OSPDAF and CDAF. No need for AF adjustments. I don't do landscapes and I'm more a volume shooter. Having spot-on focus is more important to me than having a sharper image.

Real Name
Eric
For me as a (amateur) wildlife photographer the Z7/Z6 are a NoGo:
The main Reason therefore is, that both cameras are not able to make a constant exposure metering at high speed shooting with continuous af.
if you want to shoot a high speed series from (for example a bird or a infight in a football match) to get the really right picture the metering will be fixed by the first shot.

if there are different light situations : failure
even auto iso makes no sense then, because it will not work.

Nikon | Imaging Products | Z 7

High-speed continuous shooting up to approx. 9 fps*3
*3 When using 12-bit RAW, JPEG or TIFF in high-speed continuous shooting (extended). AE is fixed at the first frame. <<--- :-(((((

sorry that is very poor 2018.
and same for the z6.. look at the z6 page

Nikon | Imaging Products | Z 6

Last edited:
For me as a (amateur) wildlife photographer the Z7/Z6 are a NoGo:
The main Reason therefore is, that both cameras are not able to make a constant exposure metering at high speed shooting with continuous af.
if you want to shoot a high speed series from (for example a bird or a infight in a football match) to get the really right picture the metering will be fixed by the first shot.

if there are different light situations : failure
even auto iso makes no sense then, because it will not work.

Nikon | Imaging Products | Z 7

High-speed continuous shooting up to approx. 9 fps*3
*3 When using 12-bit RAW, JPEG or TIFF in high-speed continuous shooting (extended). AE is fixed at the first frame. <<--- :-(((((

sorry that is very poor 2018.
and same for the z6.. look at the z6 page

Nikon | Imaging Products | Z 6
Yeah, it looks like the max speed for AE with each frame is 5.5fps (the non extended frame rate).

Was just watching the streaming from Nikon with the Nikon professionals. One a wedding photographer, one a fashion photographer, both used the pinpoint focus for critical wide open focusing, I didn't hear them mention focus peaking. I am pretty sure I remember seeing on a Nikon site that the Z6 didn't have focus peaking..anyone know differently?

I can't remember on which z6/7 thread there was a discussion about the possibility of wirelessly transmitting the photos to your phone as you shoot as an alternative to a second memory card. Someone else thought of this, too!! Hence this video. Not sure how seamless this would work or how practical it is, but it's an idea that might be worth exploring. Of course, though, who wants to have to figure out a workaround on a $3500 camera. Honestly, I've never used both my media cards on my DSLR except as overflow should one card get full. So this wasn't a issue that worried me too much in considering the Z6/7. The autofocus issue is the one that concerns me the most and that I would like to see addressed before I make a final decision on whether or not to keep my preorder of the Z6.

From the Nikon Rumors website Nick provided a link to: "There is only one way to get rid of the websites and YouTube channels that have been spreading conspiracy theories and fake news for a while - boycott them and they will disappear!"

If everyone does so, Nikon Rumors would be boycotted and would disappear. That's where I learned about those conspiracy theories.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom