New Zealand advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pa, Dec 15, 2005.

1. I wasn't sure where to put this query, so defaulted to here.

My wife and I are leaving for New Zealand in just under two weeks, to be there about 4 weeks. We will, of course, be taking a lot of pictures.

Equipment: we'll take a D70 and a D70s body, 18-70, 28-200, and 50/1.8. I have a 70-300 but plan not to take it because I don't want to haul a tripod.
    I was hoping to get a new 18-200 VR for this trip, but it looks like that's not gonna happen. I'll have a small laptop for downloading the pictures and burning to DVD.

I noticed Bjorn recommended to someone else to take UV filters for all lenses. I don't have these - how necessary would they be?

Any other suggestions from knowledgeable photo travelers will be appreciated.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Pa :

If you are to be in the mountains, the UV filters will be essential. You could also benefit from a polariser in some circumstances.

I envy you the trip. NZ is one of my favourite places on earth.

John P.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Pa, I can't comment intelligently on the need for UV filters, but I do highly envy your trip. NZ is one place that I'd really like to visit.

Have a great trip, and bring back a bunch of beautiful pictures. :smile:

5. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I spent the year 1996 in NZ as a visiting research scientist and had the pleasant opportunity to travel the entire country, North and South Islands, for many months. Since I travelled in the company of the natives I was treated on an equal footing with them, which added immensely to the experience.

At that time I still used film, so brought with me two F5 cameras and the following lenses: 25-50/4, 58 Noct, 85/1.4, 105/4 Micro-Nikkor, 50-135/3.5, and 300/2.8 plus the TC14B. Initially I didn't have UV filters with me, but fortunately enough I located an excellent E6 film lab in Christchurch and had them process my films after each shooting. I very quickly realised that the high UV levels in NZ led to colour casts and in particular, washed-out sky renditions, so I purchased a complete set of filters for my lenses and used them for all shots unless it was a shot into the sun.

6. Thanks to all for your responses. I find that I have a UV filter for the 28-200, but not for the 18-70. Does anyone have a specific recommendation? The selection in the B&H catalog is pretty daunting.:confused:

7. Pa,
    It so happens that I still have my 67mm MC UV filter from when I had the 18-70 lens. It is a Quantaray brand. Will send it to you free if that will help.
    Dave

8. Wow, that would be wonderful. I'll be happy to pay your cost and shipping.

9. Pm sent