New Zealand's most famous tree, 'That Wanaka Tree,' vandalized

Sad, indeed. I drove right by that spot in 2006 before it became famous and I don't recall seeing the tree. I guess that's a reflection on my ability to see great photo compositions.

It is sad, and I really don't understand why people do this sort of thing.

I remember when we were there in 2014 for the autumn colours. I was talking to one of the locals as I was getting ready to go and photograph the tree. They were saying they couldn't get over how many people were visiting the spot on a daily basis.
When I got to the tree, there were dozens of other photographers and tourists there also. Unfortunately there were a number of tourists (from a particular demographic region) who had no issues standing in front of cameras while we were trying to photograph the tree so they could take selfies. :(

We also enjoyed the National Transport & Toy Museum at Wanaka.

I'm planning to get back there one day for the Warbirds over Wanaka Airshow

Real Name
Philip Armitage
As a Kiwi, having been to Wanaka several times over the years, I have never seen the tree. But unfortunately in this country we have our fair share of yobs and vandalisers. Perhaps various illegal drugs makes them act irrationally. Sorry Richard but warbirds over Wanaka cancelled this year.

Sad, indeed. I drove right by that spot in 2006 before it became famous and I don't recall seeing the tree. I guess that's a reflection on my ability to see great photo compositions.
You actually have to take a little walk to get to the spot - not easy to see while driving past.
It is known as "That Wanaka tree" because it is like the Kim Kardashian of trees, it floods the New Zealand photography groups and several landscape competitions have shown two out of the top ten photos to be "That Wanaka Tree".
Several people have joked about cutting it down because it appears so often - obviously it is a beautiful scene - though when I visited a few years ago I set up a photoshoot with my machete that had several people getting really angry with me - though of course I didn't actually "finish the job".
Having said that I am totally opposed to what has been done to it.

wanaka tree.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As a Kiwi, having been to Wanaka several times over the years, I have never seen the tree. But unfortunately in this country we have our fair share of yobs and vandalisers. Perhaps various illegal drugs makes them act irrationally. Sorry Richard but warbirds over Wanaka cancelled this year.

Yes, I'm on their mailing list and received notification regarding the cancellation. I'll get there one day :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom