1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Newbie at Macro

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by jpope42, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Here's one of my first attempts at macro with my new 105vr. I shot this handheld at f/18. I'd love to get some feedback/tips since I'm a complete newbie at macro.

JHP3785_mas2edit.
    NIKON D200    ---    105mm    f/16.0    1/125s    ISO 200

2. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Nice and sharp, sweet light and great color, pleasing composition and you caught a nice pose of the a bee. Good job, your doing great, keep going.

Greg

3. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Jim,
    You could stop that down a bit and get a faster shutter speed. Because on an image like this the DOF doesn't need to be real deep you really don't need to shoot at f/18 (or f/16 1/125 according to the EXIF). With the faster shutter speed, you will reduce even more motion blur... not saying you have a lot , but the 105 is capable of crystal clear shots.

Very nice image.

P.S. If you're going to do a lot of macro.... a good tripod is a wise investment.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2008
  4. Great advice Paul... Jim welcome to our world :wink:

5. Thanks for the advice. I started shooting wide open, but wasn't really happy with the results. I've discovered how narrow DOF really is in macro, so I may have gone overboard a bit. I do have a tripod, so I'll try that. By the way, I planted a small sunflower garden just for the macro shots (ok, to amuse the kids too). How geeky is that?

6. Walt

Walt

Jun 12, 2008
    North Carolina
    nice shot, welcome it is addicting.

walt

7. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Beautiful capture!!! The 105mm VR lens is one of my favorite. Looking forward to more posting.

8. Me too

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.