1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Newbie here..first submission!!

Discussion in 'People' started by windsbud, Jul 17, 2008.

1. windsbud

windsbud

Apr 15, 2008
    Long Island,NY
    I have decided to jump in and see what happens! I am a total amatuer and have yet to really venture out of auto mode, but that is my goal for this summer. This shot is of my very favorite subject, a very sweet little girl named Jaz. She is the grandaughter of a friend and she loves the camera! I am sure you will see more of her as I venture onward. It was a rainy day and we were stuck inside so I grabbed my camera and followed her around for a bit. I happen to love this shot..OK, time to tell me what you think.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. a very nice picture
    beautiful little girl
    nice natural light

the image could use some post-processing... every image does
    some sharpening, etc...
    at at work now and don't have photoshop on my office computer

this is a great start... please remember that taking the photo is only 1/2 the "battle"

enjoy and keep shooting

3. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Welcome!! I like that you didn't center the little girl - it's nice she has some "space" to look into. Looks like you have some good reflection in her eyes. Agree with Greg on a little sharpening etc.

4. Welcome to the cafe.... alot of experienced people here that can help you perfect your skill... I am learning from them as well. Good luck. And a beautiful little girl. I like that she isn't looking directly at the camera. Doesn't look so posed. Thanks for sharing.

5. JessP7

JessP7

May 3, 2005
    North MS, USA
    She is definitely a cutie! Keep taking pics and reading on here and you won't consider yourself a newbie for long. These people here are amazing at offering good advice and helping out!

6. I like it too. As mentioned, it is nice that you did not just use a "bulls eye" composition and have her smack in the middle of the frame.

Just a though, if you want to rapidly improve your skills and understanding of how to make your camera work out of auto mode, find an intro to photography course, preferably digital. I just completed such a course and I learned a tonn in only a few weeks, it would have taken me years otherwise.

Looking at the EXIF info I see that your camera choose to shoot 1/30 at f/5 and ISO 200. with the D70s that you have you could have boosted your ISO to 400 and increased your shutter speed to 1/60 and probably had a sharper pic due to less camera shake. It is hard to get a crisp pic when you are shooting hand held at 1/30. This might not mean much now, but it will in time.

Welcome abord and happy shooting.

7. Very nice shot! I agree with the comments, I think the framing is well done she looks quite natural. A little PP for sure, the only other thing was the 3 or 4 rain drops on the window grabbed my attention first. Keep posting!

8. windsbud

windsbud

Apr 15, 2008
    Long Island,NY
    Thanks for your input everyone. I really appreciate it.
    Kevin, I absolutely agree about the raindrops. They actually appear to be more in the foreground.

I am excited about learning more. Thanks again.

Mary

9. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    1/30 is a little hard to hand old the camera. I have similar image up (Window Light).

You'll love Manual once you start using it. Find a good photography book to help you with AP, M & S modes.

Very adorable child.

10. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Hope you don't mind...I worked on your image. Just needed a little sharpening, and also some punch to her dress. The colors were flat...make sure your camera is set to sRGB.

BEFORE
    NordlandFamilyReunion2008022.

AFTER

View attachment 222861

11. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Great model you have there. Love the shot.

12. windsbud

windsbud

Apr 15, 2008
    Long Island,NY
    Seneca,
    I don't mind at all! It shows me what can be done. Thanks for your input.

Mary

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  13. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Well the fun part is taking the image, second part of that fun is post-processing. I love pp'ing...it's very therapeutic for me. Keep on shooting.

14. So wonderful. Can't wait to see what you can do as you learn more. Stick around here; it's a great place to learn.

15. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Lovely shot - bought a smile to my face!

16. What a cutie, very nicely captured and composed also!

Her expression reminds me of the very popular Cabbage Patch dolls, that were so popular in the eighties (my daughters had one - they are 30 and 29 years old now :smile:) .

17. AS you go on wih your photography, you might think about the final print. 4 x 6 format is good for cheap small prints but in the US, 4 x 5 ratio is much more common for larger shots and will be much cheaper to print and to frame.

This picture lends itself particularly to a 4 x 5 crop as it removes some non-contributory space on the right side.

funnyfacewm9.

18. windsbud

windsbud

Apr 15, 2008
    Long Island,NY
    LOL! I can definitely see the similarities! This sweet 4 year old is my very favorite subject. You will see more of her, no doubt. When she smiles(and she LOVES to do that!)her face completely changes. Can't wait to practice some of the advice I have received.

Thanks again everyone for such a positive welcome!!

19. Cute model and gret first submission.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.