Newbie needs help

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by linm, Jun 20, 2005.

1. linm

linm

May 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    I could use some advice...

I'd like to get a small lighting setup but I haven't a clue what to look for. At the moment, I don't even have a flash although I have put the SB800 on the top of next month's birthday list!

I currently shoot with a D100 and will probably upgrade to the D200 (if and when it ever exists)

I'm looking for something that I can use if I want to set up small product shots (for eBay) or macros. It rains a lot here in Vancouver so I need to be able to set up stuff indoors or I have a very short shooting season!

I considered something like this:
    http://www.kerrisdalecameras.com/st...pt_id=11000&pf_id=462.22052&more=true

but then thought I might outgrow it too fast. I don't want to spend huge money on a kit but I would like to get something with some flexibility.

Are there any good intro books out there, or good sites with info aimed at a beginner or ....

I'm just not sure where to start!

2. linm

linm

May 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Actually, I have a small EZCube that I use for that quite often. I guess I may looking more for something to use with Macro shots of small inanimate objects. Probably larger than watches or jewellry.

This was set up in my Livingroom with a halogen reading lamp: