Newbie question - How do you size your pics for posting?

How do you guys size your sample pics for posting and viewing here on the forum? I have always just used the Photoshop Resize function, set it to about 10" wide and 72 pixels/in. and let it resample and re-size. Is that a good procedure? If I am trying to show the image quality of a given shot, how best to resize it for posting? Seems to me by resampling I would lose a lot of detail?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Bruce

I will be watching this thread, for I have the same problem, despite many members attempts to help me save a pic WITH the data still intact. No problem saving for the web without the data. I have not been able to reduce an image to web file size, that looked worth posting, and still had the data!!!!!!!!

If you're setting for 10" at 72ppi, then your image will be 720 pixels wide. You should be able to post this without any other (forum or browser) re-sizing happening, and you will have a post that reflects what you have prepared. I generally use a rule of thumb that says - no more than 800 pixels for the largest dimension... you are certainly in that area with your current method.

I actually let my host (zenfolio) do the resizing for me. I upload the full image to my gallery, and then when selecting a version to post, pick the option that keeps my 800 pixel or less rule. Admittedly, I am giving away control of the "prep for web" resizing (rather than making my own 800px image) ... but it works for me.

Depending on what I want to show of the frame, I will usually downsize the original to 25-50% of the original, and then an 800x600 (or 600x800) crop. I do my resizing in PS CS2 and use "bicubic" (not sharper or smoother). I also usually do the trick of "filters->sharpen->sharpen" twice before the resize which gives a very fine sharpening effect to the edges in the image.

I was told a long time ago to limit the largest dimension to 900 pixels, so that's what I do. I use Lightroom to export jpegs for posting. It has an option for resizing to fit along the long edge.

If you look at this page on Cafe Netiquette, it says images wider than 965 pixels are automatically resized, so I guess my habit of using 900 is appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smugmug

I host my photos on Smugmug. Smugmug allows you to select the viewing size when copy/pasting the file address to upload. I usually use their medium or large option for posting on forums depending on how much detail I want to preserve.

:cool:

I usually take my image into cs3 and go to IMAGE > IMAGE SIZE and change the number in the box to 1000. Then I upload it to Photobucket and copy the URL code...the one that reads IMG images for message boards. There is probably an easier way to do this...but for now this works for me.

I host my photos on Smugmug. Smugmug allows you to select the viewing size when copy/pasting the file address to upload. I usually use their medium or large option for posting on forums depending on how much detail I want to preserve.

:cool:

Same here.

Latest threads

Top Bottom