1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Dudley5854, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    S0093032.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    Hi all,

Retired in Houston and enjoy photography quite a bit. Am shooting a Nikon D7500 and a D80 .
    I am trying to develop a sense for taking good black and white photos.

Looking forward to seeing your work and advice

Thanks Dudley5854

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    Oops forgot my Fuji x10 and x30

3. Welcome to the Café, Dudley!
    Great street image and really fitting in b&w.
    Nothing wrong with you're seeing in b&w by the looks of it.
    Looking forward to more of your work.

4. Interesting photo. I really like your B&W conversion. Can you share your technique?

5. Very nice image. Consider making the bright tones in the umbrella the brightest in the scene to bring the viewer's eye toward it. You could do that by a combination of slightly brightening those tones in the umbrella and darkening the bright tones at the top and bottom of the image.

6. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    It's wonderful, you've found the Café and it's great you've joined us Dudley.

Welcome
    Klaus

7. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    Thanks All
    I usually adjust white balance in Lightroom. Work in color then convert to bw. Mike that’s a wonderful suggestion. I have effects pro or something like that attached to my Lightroom app. One of the apps is just to enhance bw pics. Really need to spend some time with it.

8. I wonder if you're referring to Silver Efex Pro, which previously was part of the Google Nik Collection before the collection was bought by DxO. If that's not what you already have, I strongly recommend that you at least test drive DxO's version as it's absolutely wonderful for working with monochrome images. One detail I pay special attention to is in the bottom panel where you can determine which areas of the image are displayed in any or all of the 11 zones advocated by Ansel Adams.

9. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    Thanks Mike that’s the name of the app. Hate to say this but memory is going to hell.
    It is a great app only used it a few times. I dropped the adobe subscription service but am now back using it again and will use that app for sure.

10. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    9421884A-730B-4660-A73A-93518D3D2479.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    My fav coffee shop Boomtown coffee in the Heights. Was sitting at the back with my d7500 with my 10-20 sigma laying on table just have to reach over and fire. I will use people at a distance or as shadows for effect but I try to never make them identifiable in my pics.
    Sort of messing up here trying to learn how site works.
    Sorry

12. The second one tells me a story very well: people on the inside and outside, with insiders being to themselves and outsiders paying attention to each other. The light draws my eye through the foreground area of the image to the outside, which works great for me. Leading lines and imaginary leading lines on the outside also point to the outside. Great job!

13. The conversion looks OK though the whites appear a bit too bright. The composition could be improved with straightening and cropping to get the main subject off-center and more prominent in the picture IMO. Less can be more.

14. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    Hi fishbio
    You are on to something with the rule of thirds and I did get bit carried away with the whites slider or something like that. Thanks for your comments.
    Anything with your screen name just wondering.

15. retired biologist, worked for Fisheries and Oceans Canada.

16. Like the point of view, looking out from the coffee shop onto the street, Dudley!
    great b&w processing.

17. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    Thanks Bart

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.