Newborn Portraits (first attempt)

Discussion in 'People' started by JeffKohn, Oct 7, 2005.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Our best friends just had their second baby son, so I was recruited to try some newborn portaits. This was just after feeding so he was wide awake, but fortunately not fussy. Trying to get him precisely posed was pretty much impossible, he was way too squirmy. We'll probably try again soon to get some sleeping portraits and detail shots, but this is what I got out of the first session. Portrait works is new territory for me, it's something I'd like to learn but find quite challenging. But at least I feel like I'm learning something from each session.

As always comments/critiques/feedback welcome.

Click on the image to view the PBase page with full shooting details.

original.

original.

original.

2. Really nice Jeff, these images will be keepsakes for the family.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good job Jeff. Portraiture really IS hard, esp on little kids, and you did a fine job on this little wiggle worm. This 1st shot is excellent!

Now, excuse me for asking here, but we just discussed this in another thread. My IE's EXIF Show plugin shows you used +1 1/3 Exp Comp on the 1st shot, (for example). It also shows you shot these in Manual mode. Now, I was just told in that other thread that you couldn't effect the exposure in Manual mode with Exp Comp. So, what's the deal, can you, or can't you? :confused:
    Starting with Baywing's response: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=55163

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Newborn eyes

...how on earth did you get pics of a newborn with eyes wide open?

Incredible, lovely, unforgettable for the parents.

Well done doesn't even begin to describe your pics. Brilliant.

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Gordon, Steve, and Peter. I really appreciate the feedback.

Normally I think it just shifts the scale for the exposure meter, but these shots were done with iTTL flash. I had an SB-800 firing into a 24" softbox, connected to the camera via SC-27. I've found that iTTL and/or CLS is a bit hit and miss when using modifiers on the flash, it takes a bit of experimentation with EV adjustments to get the exposure right. Normally convential wisdom says make the adjustment on the flash, but in this case it was easier to do it on the camera rather than reaching over to the softbox-mounted flash so I just made the adjustment there.

Well when I say newborn that's not entirely accurate, he was born the week before hurricane Rita hit so by the time things settled down and we got a chance to take the pictures he was about two weeks old. Even so I think it was just lucky timing, he seemed to be particularly content that afternoon and it was the most I'd seen him open his eyes so far.

6. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    very nice

I especially like the first one. I bet your friends are thrilled with the photos. Keep taking them as he grows!!!