Newest member of the club

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Kevin Scott, May 15, 2005.

1. Just wanted to drop in and say that I picked up a brand-spanking new D2X today so I guess that makes me the newest member of the club! :wink: Now for those who were teasing me about contemplating on a body can find something else to bug me about. (like probably my pics)

I'm very excited to get familiar with it and hope I'll be ready for the end of the month and the Merritt Island get together. Now to decide on a telephoto lens. I tried the 80-400 and the 300 f4 AFS. The AFS is nice but wonder if I would be happier with the VR and reach of the zoom. Any thoughts?

Happy as a clam,

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Congrats Kevin. Where did you get it? Colonial Photo & Hobby?

Have you considered the 70-200 VR and a TC? Faster than the 80-400 and superior optics.

3. Hi John. I got it from Ritz (of all places)! I wanted to get it from Colonial Photo and Hobby but they're closed on Sundays. I called them on Friday and they said they had one in stock. I was really sick Sat and just didn't feel up to going. Felt better today but decided to take a chance on going to Ritz. I figured if they had one I'd take it. They actually had 3 or 4 in stock. Same price as everyone else. Actually joined their frequent buyers club and earned $100 back so I'll use that towards a lens.

I've thought about the 70-200VR but I'm pretty satisfied with my 80-200 currently. I'm looking for longer. Tried the 80-400 on the body at the store and the 300. Just don't know what I'd like better: more reach & VR or AFS. The AFS was super fast but the zoom seemed fast enough. In any case, I need to decide before the end of the month. I saw a used 80-400 in the FS forum the other day but don't know if it's still available.

Decisions, decisions.... Noticed you said you have one coming. Where did you order from?

4. Sorry..just noticed you said "and a TC". Hmmm...1.4x wouldn't do much but I wonder about a 1.7x or even a 2x. Would anyone be able to comment on the image quality with either of those converters? I'm assuming the AFS and VR would still apply. That might be a good option then I could sell my 80-200. Interesting. I'll wait and see if anyone has opinions on that combo.

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Well, the 2X would definitely degrade the image quality. The 1.4 does not, but then you're only at 280 mm. This has been discussed on Nikonians a few times, and the 1.7 seems to be pretty good. AFS and VR are OK.