1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Newly constructed lightbox

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by exposinglife, Jul 31, 2008.

1. exposinglife

exposinglife

Apr 12, 2007
    NC
    I made a softbox using some foamboard and a hot glue gun and finally had a chance to try it out. I shot these with the Beast and a (slightly) off-camera SB-600. It was just to the camera left...bouncing mostly off the ceiling.

Thoughts? Do the exposures look good? I thought it would be iteresting to have one piece different than the rest and have focus on it and give it a good depth of field.

chess_wh_1.
    NIKON D80    ---    50mm    f/2.8    1/60s    ISO 200

chess_wh_2.
    NIKON D80    ---    48mm    f/2.8    1/320s    ISO 250

chess_wh_3.
    NIKON D80    ---    70mm    f/2.8    1/320s    ISO 250

chess_wh_4.
    NIKON D80    ---    50mm    f/6.3    1/320s    ISO 250

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2008
  2. I like it. How about posting a picture of your DIY softbox?

3. Love the pics and second the request above.

4. Me too!

5. exposinglife

exposinglife

Apr 12, 2007
    NC
    I'll get some pictures of the softbox tonight and try and get them posted. I still have some other ideas on modifications, but haven't gone through with them yet. Basically, it was about $12 (and about 20 minutes) to put together because the wife already had the glue gun.

6. exposinglife

exposinglife

Apr 12, 2007
    NC
    Lightbox construction

Here are some pictures of the lightbox itself. I basically took four pieces of foam board and glued them from the outside. The first three show the box itself (and the SB-600 with a better bounce card off-camera). I just used my kid's little table to prop the foam board together and glued them in place. If you don't get the first pieces perfectly straight, it's ok because they will give a little bit. When you do the third, it's best to start aligning them to make sure there isn't any gaps.

As you can see in the first picture, if you glue from the outside you won't get any glue leaking through into the inside of the softbox. The glue on the outside looks a bit ugly but it does the job.

The last three pictures give you a look at the seams and the final product. Let me know if you have any more questions. I bought the foam board at A.C. Moore for about $2.79 per piece.

softbox_ex_1.
    NIKON D80    ---    35mm    f/2.0    1/60s    ISO 250

softbox_ex_2.
    NIKON D80    ---    35mm    f/7.1    1/60s    ISO 250

softbox_ex_5.
    NIKON D80    ---    35mm    f/4.0    1/60s    ISO 100

softbox_ex_4.
    NIKON D80    ---    35mm    f/4.0    1/60s    ISO 100

softbox_ex_6.
    NIKON D80    ---    35mm    f/4.5    1/60s    ISO 100

softbox_ex_3.
    NIKON D80    ---    35mm    f/7.1    1/60s    ISO 250

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2008
  7. Nice way to illuminating your object, failry evenly. Especially considering the price, and that you made it your self.

Just to not confuse someone, maybe you should change the title to Lightbox, softbox for most people in the studio forum is refering to a lightmodifier.

8. nice shots
    appreciate the softbox picture, as well

9. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    What a great idea, and it gives good results too!

Do you think the design can be made foldable somehow?

Also, try experimenting with covering the top with a shower curtain ($1 at a dollar store). The shower curtain will allow you to shoot the flash through straight from the top - more light is always a good thing with lightboxes.

10. exposinglife

exposinglife

Apr 12, 2007
    NC
    Good call Paul. I've made the changes.

11. exposinglife

exposinglife

Apr 12, 2007
    NC
    Not easily. Since the foam board is firm and not flexible the only way might be to get some velcro that can be affixed (sticky) to the back of the foam board. You could attach the pieces as needed.

Good idea. I've thought about cutting some holes (windows) out of the sides to enable shooting directly from the side. You could put tissue paper over the holes to enable diffusion/reflection as well.

Just a thought.

12. LOL! I was waiting to see the DIY softbox and was bummed that it was actually a lightbox. Oh well, the DIY lightbox was pretty cool too.

13. gladjo

gladjo Guest

Very nice. I might make a stop at Hobby Lobby tomorrow. :cool: 

14. fastfoci

fastfoci

Jan 23, 2009
    Rochester NY
    just wanted to say thank you for posting this thread. i used it to build my own. i built it using the 30" wide though. i got it all done and realized i have nothing in the house to use it for lmao. owell at least i have that one cheap tool now for the one time i will use it. again thank you.

15. Thanks for the information on the DIY. I was asked by a realitive to shot pictures of scale model cars he does for his car club. This may come in very handy.

16. mikeyb

mikeyb

Mar 25, 2009
    cincinnati
    i see someone else read Scott Kelby's huide to digital photography!. :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.