Newly released, inexpensive fisheye for Z cameras

I am strongly considering buying the fisheye lens for my Z6 mentioned at https://petapixel.com/2021/05/24/7artisans-adds-three-new-lenses-to-its-nikon-z-mount-line/

At a cost of only about $270 for a lens that doesn't require using the FTZ adaptor, it seems that I can hardly go wrong so long as it consistently produces photos that are the same quality as the two photos displayed in that article. Considering that fisheye photography would not have anything to do with my most serious photography, I won't be doing any pixel-peeping of images made with the lens and I won't be making any large prints. Heck, I probably won't be making any prints. I would want the lens for the few times I'm especially in the mood to look for or have stumbled upon scenes that would be conducive for capturing using a fisheye lens. Considering how rarely I would use it, I can justify spending only such a small amount of money.

I looked around and didn't see any fisheye lenses on the used market in that price range that would fit a Z camera with or without the FTZ adaptor (I have an FTZ). However, I'm not a gear head so I wonder if you folks are perhaps aware of something I might have overlooked.

Last edited:
It's an interesting piece of glass and I think 7artisans has an ok reputation. Personally, I never trust ANY sample photo as representative.

There are used 10 and 12mm Voigtlander on the used market but they are about twice the price (and require an adapter).

Real Name
Aaron
Real Name
Andy
At a cost of only about $270 for a lens that doesn't require using the FTZ adaptor, it seems that I can hardly go wrong so long as it consistently produces photos that are the same quality as the two photos displayed in that article
I have been significantly disappointed on more than one occasion when I tried being "first kid on the block" to have a newly introduced toy, whether it was photo gear or otherwise. In the ultra wide department, I backed a Kickstarter campaign for the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. It was OK, but definitely not as good as I had been led to believe it would be.

If you don't have an immediate desire to add the 7Artisans fisheye to your kit, and you wait a year beyond its introduction (probably less) you'll risk less than $270 when an early adopter puts his up for sale on FM. And if you don't happen to like it, you can take a smaller loss selling it.

Thanks so much, Aaron! I hope you're still feeling better at least bit by bit.

the TTartisans 11mm

I hadn't seen that lens. It seems to be an ideal fit, so I ordered a new one just now from KEH over the phone, as they're experiencing a problem with their website. (I didn't know they sell new product; I went there looking for a used copy.) KEH is the only website of the few I regularly use that has the product in stock. It's nearly 25% lighter than the 7Artisans product. It's a proven product at least in the sense that it has been out for awhile and in that Paul's threads that you pointed me toward provide favorable information about it. It's also about 20% less expensive than the expected price of the 7Artisans product.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
If you don't have an immediate desire to add the 7Artisans fisheye to your kit

I actually do have an immediate desire but you do make some excellent points. Even so, I ordered the TTartisans lens that Aaron showed us that has been out for awhile. I'm going to take a couple vacations over the next few months and the scenery in one of them might be especially suitable for using a fisheye lens.

Last edited:

F64

Real Name
Greg
I am strongly considering buying the fisheye lens for my Z6 mentioned at https://petapixel.com/2021/05/24/7artisans-adds-three-new-lenses-to-its-nikon-z-mount-line/

At a cost of only about $270 for a lens that doesn't require using the FTZ adaptor, it seems that I can hardly go wrong so long as it consistently produces photos that are the same quality as the two photos displayed in that article. Considering that fisheye photography would not have anything to do with my most serious photography, I won't be doing any pixel-peeping of images made with the lens and I won't be making any large prints. Heck, I probably won't be making any prints. I would want the lens for the few times I'm especially in the mood to look for or have stumbled upon scenes that would be conducive for capturing using a fisheye lens. Considering how rarely I would use it, I can justify spending only such a small amount of money.

I looked around and didn't see any fisheye lenses on the used market in that price range that would fit a Z camera with or without the FTZ adaptor (I have an FTZ). However, I'm not a gear head so I wonder if you folks are perhaps aware of something I might have overlooked.
My son and I both bought this lens. It's surprisingly sharp even wide open. I'm very pleased with how images turn out - focus peaking and IBIS are a real plus. Using it on a Z7 and Z7II.
Can't go wrong for the price - shipping was free and the lens appeared after 2 days via FEDEX - came from Dubai!

F64

Real Name
Greg
Looking forward to seeing your images.
Here's a couple:
DSC_0967.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
949.jpg

Real Name
Andrew
I like the 7Artisans brand. There has been some issues with QC and some oil bleeding in some lenses when used in the heat.

I do not have the Z mount lens, but I do have the Fuji f-mount 7.5mm lens and it is adequate for what it is. What I like is that it sharpens up well with Topaz Sharpen AI and it can be easily defished in either Lightroom with the Nikon 10.55 fisheye profile or in Nik Perspective Efex.

those sample shots in the article are very nice. I have a hard time getting my head around a fisheye lens, I have the Nikon 8-15mm here and someone asked me today if I had any photos I could show them from it and after looking I have none. Haven’t kept even one photo taken with it. I have a slightly easier time with the 14-24 and 24-70 is very easy for me to use.

F64

Real Name
Greg
Enjoying images that have not been de-fished probably often requires acquiring a taste for the distortion. I gave up decades ago trying to acquire a taste for beer, so I perfectly understand people that have no interest in the style of image a fish eye lens produces.
Sometimes, it's just a matter of finding the right subject matter. With careful framing, you can eliminate most of the distortion. Also, there are many fun things you can do in certain situations.
4510.jpg
1662Straight.jpg
DSC_1634.jpg
LiamDevJasFlyingKite.jpg
NolFisheye.jpg

F64

Real Name
Greg
My TTartisans 11mm fisheye arrived today and it certainly seems sharp enough for my purposes. It will probably live on f/8, which is the setting that I used for the image displayed below.

One image style I enjoy is the result of a fisheye converting straight lines to curved lines. Though this photo is not great, it does demonstrate the basic quality of the lens when mounted on a Nikon Z6. I'm pleased, especially considering that the cost is only $215 plus tax.

Mike 2021-05-28--0004-S.jpg

Last edited:

F64

Real Name
Greg
MY TTartisans 11mm fisheye arrived today and it certainly seems sharp enough for my purposes. It will probably live on f/8, which is the setting that I used for the image displayed below.

One image style I enjoy is the result of a fisheye converting straight lines to curved lines. Though this photo is not great, it does demonstrate the basic quality of the lens when mounted on a Nikon Z6. I'm pleased, especially considering that the cost is only $215 plus tax.
It's a great deal. I found it very important to focus critically - had to keep using the 100% zoom feature to make sure I was focused on the most important part of my subject.
I know what you mean about the curved view - it can be fun with architecture.
4601c.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom