Newly Using Aperture

So, I just got my new Macbook Pro 15in, (woot woot) and I decided to give Aperture 3 a try just to try something new out. I'm coming from LR3, which was quite snappy and overall a great program. But Aperture seems rather sluggish, I was wondering if anyone has any tips to speed it up, or do I just need to switch back to LR3?

You are not alone Aperture 3 is sluggish. I am on a MBP 17" with the i7 processor, 4GB of RAM and the 7200 rpm HD. The machine is the model before the recent update.

Real Name
Mark
If you faces turned on you might turn that off. There are some other tricks to speed things up when importing pictures. But Aperture runs fine on my MBP 15 with 4 GB ram.
I'd recommend reading some of the Aperture discussion boards that are out there. Also Mac Create Network has some excellent tutorials.
Mark

The biggest speed-up for me was upgrading to 8gb ram. Combine that with turning off Faces and the speed increase has been very noticeable. I also tend to not run anything else while I'm using Aperture.

I should have mentioned I have Faces turned off. The quality chosen for rendering of previews affect speed as well. Does anyone know if this is only an issue upon import, when the entire batch of images are rendered, or does it have an effect later when you are working on individual images? I would think it only matters upon import, but maybe high quality previews demand more RAM on an ongoing basis.

Real Name
Ken St John
I am running Aperture 3 on a early-2010 MacPro and don't see many issues with speed at all. I have a SSD as a boot disk/Aperture program disk but my library is on a separate 1TB, 7200rpm, disk. There is a pause as the disk spins up but it's not more than a few seconds. Turning Faces off did help quite a bit.

Welcome to Aperture!!

Cheers!!

Ken

No problems here, but I have the 27" i7 with 8GB. :wink: When I turned off faces I found L3 to be slower than Aperture 3.

I love the brushes in Aperture 3. It makes things so easy!

It's not supporting my D7000 RAW pics yet... hmmmmm.

And I wish it had a lens correction. Other than that, I'm really liking it.

My files were really big for whatever reason, like 45mb - 65mb, I guess that could have been a big problem. Well I have another shoot today and tomorrow so we'll see if any of my changes help.

I have no idea what "faces" is, but I will say the less there is stored on the HD and the more ram the program can access up to the limit it is programed for, the better it will run. Around 40% on a terabite HD is my limit.

Move files off to storage on two back up externals.

Do not have a bunch of programs open when doing programs that take calculations.

This is really nothing more than basic computer "rules".

Sounds like you have TIFF's???
Yes, for whatever reason Aperture imports my RAW photos as TIFF's.
I have no idea what "faces" is, but I will say the less there is stored on the HD and the more ram the program can access up to the limit it is programed for, the better it will run. Around 40% on a terabite HD is my limit.

Move files off to storage on two back up externals.

Do not have a bunch of programs open when doing programs that take calculations.

This is really nothing more than basic computer "rules".

My computer has 450gb's let on the HD, so I think I'm alright.

I did do some editing and found that with faces turned off and all other programs turned off it was a lot faster.

A little update,

The biggest improvement for Aperture was turing faces off and then just simply waiting for all the photos to upload. I was being super impatient so now that it's at a decent running speed I actually really enjoy it, the brushes and presets are great.

I also have all previews turned off. watch activity monitor while its running to see whats going on. test after a fresh restart.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom