Newport RI Birds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Harry Lavo, May 18, 2007.

1. A few bird shots from my recent vacation in Newport, RI. These were all done with my recently purchased Sigma 70-300 f/4.0-5.6 APO lense.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull in Flight (1/1250, f/5.6, 270mm, ISO200)

Make way for Ducklings (1/800, f/5.6, 170mm, ISO 200)

View attachment 96299

Full Flaps, Landing Gear Down (1/800, f/5.6, 300mm, ISO200)

View attachment 96300

May I presume? (1/250, f/5.3, 240mm, ISO200)

View attachment 96301

Comment and Criticism are welcome.

2. Hi Harry! Gorgeous photos! But, those would be goslings in the 3rd photo! Nice job anyway!

3. Thanks for the correction, Angel. Shows what I (don't) know! Somehow I've always associated geese with noise and white feathers...and ducks with the more colorful markings. But now that I look at them, they certainly are long-necked "ducks". :rolleyes:

And thanks for the compliment...I think these turned out well. I have a whole sequence of the crane taking off and landing ... twice in fact. Took about twenty-five minutes of complete focus, since most of the time he/she just stood there.

4. revdhd

revdhd

May 2, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Hi, Harry,

You sure got some fine shots there. I love the seagull at top... Jonathan, indeed!

And the Canada geese and (as Diane pointed out) goslings are wonderful... beautiful birds in a lovely family grouping.

Just a question, Harry: It may be my monitor, but all your shots look a bit underexposed to my eye. Is it me? What do you think?

Great shots. Must have been a wonderful trip!

God bless.
    Doug

5. Thanks, Doug...glad you liked them.

As to exposure...you are right. I'm still trying to get the full measure of my D50...up until this trip I have been shooting almost exclusively in NEF...and doing post processing. But it just wasn't fast enough for action shots, so on this trip for much of the time I put it in JPEG, only to find that I had at some point set up a -1/3EV exposure in "custom" (which I have now removed). But I don't think that is all of it. Except for touristy "snaps", I shot only during the first hour of light morning and night. So light intensity was down when I was shooting. I noticed on some of my NEFs that when I brought exposure up, I lost much of the wonderful golden glow that such early and late sun creates...and frankly, given the choice, I'd rather have the "glow" (notice the sidelighting on the geese and on the front of the gull).

I'd certainly appreciate your advice and suggestions based on your own experience regards the above. I've often thought that my camera tends to emphasize contrast versus overall balance...I notice when I bring NEFs into Adobe Elements that ususally shadow detail is turned way down (more detail) and sometimes exposure is elevated. But perhaps I am imagining things...I am new to Nikon and new to digital SLR's and so have a lot to learn.

6. revdhd

revdhd

May 2, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Hi, Harry,

I know what you mean! The "golden hours" (around dawn and dusk) are wonderful for that beautiful golden light, but really challenge exposure values. Certainly, the change you made in your in-camera exposure value would have corrected part of the problem.

I shoot RAW NEF, also, but I process in Photoshop. I'm not certain how much different Photoshop is from Elements, but in Photoshop I have exposure compensation controls as well as temperature controls and tint controls. When I increase temperature, everything becomes warmer in color. By raising exposure and increasing temperature, I'm often able to get a brighter shot while retaining that beautiful light. If the colors get a little weird, the tint control helps me regain the original coloring. Perhaps this will help you as you wrestle with this.

I love the first shot of your gull... outstanding. And the egret (?) landing is beautiful. Perfect pose! This must have been a wonderful trip!

God bless.
    Doug