Newton rings are a curse.

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Connahhh, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
  2. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

What are those? I would probably kill a person for $1.56 printing. Alright that's a bit of an exaggeration... :p  my favorite is the last. They're all excelent.

3. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Newton rings are artifacts from scanning with glass over the negatives. I have to lay the glass to keep the negatives from curling, and I get them. I'll post the tutorial for this really cheap processing.

4. Two solutions:

Nikon LS9000. $$$$!

Anti Newton-ring glass. Works pretty well!

5. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Yep. All I need is some of that fancy stuff and I should be good to go.

6. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    You have a 'good eye' Connor, I too enjoyed the last one the most

7. Connor I like these a lot. I have to admit, I'm a big fan of Hassy square film! :biggrin: those rings are interesting, I have never seen them before. You are scanning negatives directly (and not prints) ?

8. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Thanks Robert and Gretchen.

Gretchen, I love the square format so much. It's such a breeze to compose and it's so nice to look at. And those little square 3x3 prints are so cute! Haha.

I'm scanning the negatives directly, but the newton rings are caused by me laying normal picture frame glass over the negatives. I've found that if I don't do this, they aren't flat enough and are scanned very softly.

9. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Not sure what kind of scanner you have, but some scanners have negative carriers. I have an Epson V500, the 2 1/4 neg carrier leaves a lot to be desired, but it does work. I'm probably going to get a V750 because I need something to scan 4x5 negatives. Anti-Newton glass carriers are available, but I probably won't get them until I get the new scanner. You have done a great job with that camera. You may want more lenses, but you are doing a very fine job with the one you have. A job well done!. and thank you for the info on Walmart photo processing. I usually use a custom lab in San Diego, but only when I'm in a hurry for my results. It is a 20 mile drive into town, and I don't always have the time for the trip.

:smile:

10. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Michael, I scan with a 4490. It does have negative carriers. However, I encounter a lot of problems with the flatness of the negatives on the carriers. Often they appear out of focus, especially with 35mm.

11. Connor, I have the 4490 also. I've gotten the Newton Rings once or twice with just the 35mm film in the carrier. Thanks for the post. I was not aware of what the effect was called. Now I know.

12. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Connor, you might want to try http://www.betterscanning.com/
    for anti newton glass negative carriers. I think they are $64 for your scanner. check out the link. I was going to buy one for my V500 until I got the 4x5 camera. Not sure what I'm going to do now, have to wait until my $$ situation is resolved.

:biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.